Michael Domi…, Home Buyer in Medford, OR

Is Salem, Or a great place to raise a family?

Asked by Michael Dominguez, Medford, OR Sat Jan 12, 2013

I am getting out of Army due to medical issues and looking to buy a home that is about 5 bedroom 2 bath or bigger?

Answers

7
If you don't mind lots of rain, yes.
You may visit http://www.homefacts.com .Also you may talk to the local police station.
I have a house in Medford It does not rain at all like Salem. It is a great place to raise a family
6400sq 6 Bedrooms 5.5 Baths
Two Story Home with Chandelier entry. Formal Living and Dining Room Huge Masterbedroom,2 suite Bedrooms. Two Family setup Huge3+ heated garage plus shop. Rv Parking w/hookup & dump addt'l paved space Storage galore, All fenced in with spectacular Pool with Water Falls. Too many extras to 5412923914
Salem is a small city compared to Portland, it is the state capital and I think it is a good place to raise a family.
Thank you from your service.

I think that is a loaded question with any community but you can always get report cards on the schools nearby as well as crime statistics. As Lana said it will also depend on the activities your family is interested in but like Portland Metro, Salem / Keizer is fairly central to just about any family activity imaginable.

I work with a great agent in that area feel free to contact me if you need a referral or have any questions on VA financing.
As in any place to live and raise a family, it will depend on what it is your family enjoys. Salem is a great place to be in the way of a big city - State capitol of Oregon, so much to see and do. Lakes not too far away and the same for the Ocean if you are someone that enjoys water and being outdoors.
Salem is a very family oriented city. It is probably one of the bigger complaints by the singles that live here. There are a lot of things that are here locally, and we are also centered in the valley for easy access to HooDoo and the autobahn sledding runs, the coast, nearby rivers for great swimming, rafting, fishing, and Portland which has OMSI, etc.

As a parent I appreciate that we have little traffic here (although that is relative). I like that I rarely have to drive more than 15 minutes to get my kids to their activities.

The biggest issue in Salem for parents is the schools. They have been hit really hard with budget cuts and classroom sizes are really large. I don't know the impact down in Medford but it has been hard up here.