Home Buying in Orlando>Question Details

Cbacalando, Home Buyer in Orlando, FL

Is Ryan Homes a quality /good home builder in Orlando? I saw that there are a lot of complaints in Maryland, NJ ,Ohio, but only 1 from Florida

Asked by Cbacalando, Orlando, FL Sun Jun 9, 2013

is it also because it depends on the contractors they hire who build the house? Thank you for your input.

Answers

14
I HAVE SOLD RYLAND AND RYAN HOMES BOTH...NO CONFUSION BETWEEN THE 2.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 9, 2013
I was referring to the 2 MIchael's and the other agent below who thought the question was about Ryland. They have since deleted their posts.
Flag Sun Jun 9, 2013
Your company is only as good as the people that work for you in any line of work...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 9, 2013
Good to hear that your client was satisfied with the workmanship of Ryan homes, since you already have an idea of the builder can I ask If why is it that they are 100% energy star certified but their insulation is standard only and not the foam spray type unlike M/I Homes and Meritage ?thanks again
Flag Sun Jun 9, 2013
Wow!!!! Trulia deleted my entire response and there was not one thing wrong with it! Trulia, please explain!!!
HECK NO! RYAN HOMES IS HORRIBLE....they do not care about the customer experience. Mike Pilch the regional sales manager in Hagerstown, MD told us to basically F off today. He threatened to keep our deposit when we are 2 weeks from the closing. The appraisal came in 6k less and they expect us to pay, so be upside down in your home when you first move in, go figure that customer service? The entire process was a nightmare but we tried to hang in there until this final icing on the cake. Slime ball Mike Pilch represents Ryan Homes??? This tells me how bad it is at the top, the owner should be ashamed of himself especially after reading all the horrible reviews from customer experience to workmanship. Don't fall for it, run from Ryan Homes, they are sleazy sales people who have the sister company NVR Mortgage who is a whole other story. They sucked too and have the worst people there to deal with. I will make this my full time job to announce to everyone not to buy from them, I don't want anyone's money taken the way our's is being taken. Time for a good lawyer!
I am not sure about Ryan Homes, but I can share this with you... After an ordeal with a builder that we terminated we were led to Corinthian Builders, Inc. They immediately calmed the storm with wisdom and experience, they were able to tackle our very complicated home remodeling project. The crew was professional and everything was done with precision. Even the screws on the switch plates are exactly vertically positioned. We would not hesitate to use Corinthian Builders, or refer them to our friends and family for any home improvement project, or for any construction work. We can honestly say that Corinthian Builders are the best contractors in Central Florida. The sales person that we worked with was Adam Kovacsik and the number we have for him is 407-497-1534.

Good luck with your search!!!

-Marie and John H.
You're asking people here who can't fully answer your question much beyond positives. Ask the unfortunate people who've had been in nightmarish problems who had to go to battle to get their homes fixed. Oh, you can't do that either. Most of these people sign gag orders to get their home fixed or get some recovery, and cannot legally talk about Ryan Homes problems either. You're not going to find a tenth of the problems people have these days. So just go for it and hope your one of the lucky ones. If you're not, you're pretty much up the creek these days. You'll find you have little recourse if you get a lemon home in actual practice, They can afford to ruin a few lives here and there, and I know with certainty they still do, and they have no reason to stop doing so now.
Hello Cbacalando,

Thank you for contacting the Real Estate Professionals here at TRULIA for your home buying question.

RYAN Homes communities are growing here in Central Florida. As other agents have mentioned, all builders and their contractors are regulated by standard building codes and regulations. Ryan is just as good as any other production home builder in the area.

There are many advantages of buying from a builder, including getting to pick all your options….Also, most builders have great deals on their in house financing that other, outside lenders can not beat.

Please keep in mind that the Sales Agent works for the BUILDER. It costs you nothing extra to have a Buyers Agent work with you AND I have found that builders Sales Agents are very accommodating when dealing with us Buyers Agents, as they want us to continue bringing them buyers.

Lastly, I would recommend that you have a complete inspection done at your walk through. No, in most cases you won’t be able to delay the closing until any issues discovered are addressed, however you can document them right away, and have the builder start taking action on them right away.

I like working with buyers, either on existing homes, or new construction from a builder.

If I can help, please feel free to contact e directly carlrealtycenter@aol.com or 407-832-4650.

Carl Head
Realty Center-Orlando
What are you smoking? Ryan Homes is a rip off and now seeing this post from you representing Trulia tells me something about Trulia too.
Flag Wed Mar 12, 2014
Hi Erica:

A lot of these big builders are public companies that sell thousands of homes/year. Construction is a complicated process and there is always a possibly that things might go wrong,.. That being said when you build 1000s of homes, even if the chances of having defects is 1/1000 you will always have bad reviews on your product.

Please keep in mind when dealing with a brand new home, you are much better off to use a Realtor. Generally speaking, whether you use a Realtor or not the price would be the same. The advantage of having a Realtor is you would have a professional representing you and giving professional advice, negotiate,…. The builder's representatives almost always work for the builder and consequently have the best interest of their employer in mind which basically means you are not being represented.

Hope this helps and let me know if I can help you in any way as I deal with a lot of builders and sell a lot of brand new properties.

Abraham Bidhendi - Top Producer Realtor® with over 26 years of experience
Awarded #1 Realtor® for Total Sales Volume in the State of Florida
We have had 142 successful transactions during the past year alone
Exit Realty Access, LLC
Direct: (407) 683-5381
Fax: (407) 332-9006
Email: REOsofflorida@msn.com
Website: http://abidhendi.orlandopropertiesonline.com
When people see negative comments on the internet, the first thing I suggest is to look at the date the post was made. The internet is forever and 3, 4, or 5 year old comments might not mean much any more.
Thanks mark
Flag Sun Jun 9, 2013
Greerings Cbacalando,

You pose a difficult question for realtors to answer. Antitrust law prevents us from discussing negative aspects of other companies in the real estate business that could cause harm to their business.

There have been recent news articles about the shortage of sub-contractor laborers here in Florida. This may or may not have an impact on the quality of work that is being performed. Many people are choosing to go with new construction. I am currently working with new construction buyers looking at another builder in Orlando.

All I can say is keep doing your research and go with what feels right to your instincts...it's your investment. :)
Thanks Lisa for your advise although my question was just innocently trying to ask regarding the builder but I understand Thanks again.
Flag Sun Jun 9, 2013
As you can see below, many agents confuse Ryan with Ryland, which is a different company. I purchased a new home from Ryan about 25 years ago and lived in it 12 years. They have been in Orlando that long. I was happy with the quality and the company. These large builders dont actually "build" homes. They design floorplans, decide the specs they want and will accept, and have construction supervisors to make sure they are built to their standards. But all the work is contracted to local subcontractors. The work is dependant on the subs following the specs and the builder's supervisor and local code inspectors making sure they are built to plans and code.
Hiring your own qualified building inspector is a good idea. If possible, have him watch each stage as it is built to make sure it is built to spec. Drywall hides a lot of mistakes.

DON SHIPPEY CDPE*, SFR*
Broker Associate
*Certified Distressed Property Expert
*Short Sales & Foreclosures Resource
Military Housing Specialist
RE/MAX Properties SW
Cell 407-925-2318
Office 407-857-7600
E-mail: donrshippey@aol.com
http://www.OrlandoRealtyOnline.com
Yes I noticed that others are referring to Ryland instead of RYAN homes which is the builder I am asking for
Flag Sun Jun 9, 2013
Thanks Don you're answer is a great help.
Flag Sun Jun 9, 2013
I just showed the Ryland Buckingham model in the Apopka Oak Ridge community, and I and my buyer were very impressed.

Michael D. Bellamy, P.A.
REALTOR®, SFR, BPOR, CDPE
407-536-MIKE(6453)
michael@michaelbellamy.net
http://www.michaelbellamy.net
Thanks Michael, I saw one of RYLAND Homes in Winter Park ,but its quiet expensive, RYAN Homes on the other hand is less expensive but its simple so you have to upgrade if you want to.
Flag Sun Jun 9, 2013
They are newer to FL, but have a strong national presence. They have strong financials as they tend to build less spec homes. If you "google them" you will find some positives as well. I would invite you to visit any of their communities with an inspector you trust so they can attest to their quality. Also have your realtor ask about their builder guarantee. With inventory levels this low you can not afford to narrow down your options based on a couple of internet complaints. I personally like most of their floorplans. Go see for yourself. I hope this helps!
thanks German for replying
Flag Sun Jun 9, 2013
One of my customers just closed on one of their homes recently and is highly satisfied with their customer service, workmanship and overall performance.
If you have any questions...please feel free to call me.

Jeffrey Brown

Infinity Real Estate Group

"Your friend and Realtor for generations"

jbrown32825@yahoo.com

http://jeffreybrown.favoritebroker.com/