Radon is just about everywhere because it's a natural substance in the Earth's crust. It's an odorless, tasteless gas that is a naturally occurring decay product of uranium. When there's a breakdown of uranium in rocks and soil it seeps through the ground and into homes through foundation cracks, gaps around pipes, cracks in walls, etc. Whether youâ€™re looking to purchase a home in our area or you already live here, I urge everyone to test their homes for radon levels. We have a lot of decomposing granite in our area and there can be a presence of radon in that. You can purchase low-cost test kits at almost any hardware store. Just follow the directions and send it into the lab for the results. If the level is at or above 4 picocuries per liter then the Environmental Protection Agency suggests "fixing it". Some fixes for radon can be free like opening sub-level air vents, but radon mitigation can also cost anywhere between $500 and $2,500. Radon shouldnâ€™t scare you off from a home, but as homeowners we shouldnâ€™t allow it to seep into our homes.