Faulkland, Home Buyer in Redmond, WA

Is Quadrant Home a reputable builder? I know there were some lawsuits against them back in 2010? Thinking of buying a development in Issaquah.

Asked by Faulkland, Redmond, WA Wed Nov 14, 2012

Answers

5
Hi Faulkland,

Quadrant has been building and developing in the Puget Sound region for decades. In the 1980s I worked quite closely with them and found their leadership to be of the highest integrity. They bought the development and built homes in the neighborhood in which I was the 6th owner, so I was closely involved with them as a homeowner's association leader.

Quadrant is a well respected subsidiary of Weyerhauser, a northwest icon company. Any builder who lasts for decades is doing a LOT of things right.

I feel any builder can experience a law suit, and sometimes it's not deserved.

As mentioned by other brokers, it's always wise to get an inspection, even on new construction. If you'd like, I'd be happy to recommend an excellent inspector.

For more insight, I recommend you go to http://www.quadranthomes.com .

Warm Regards,
Karen
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 14, 2012
In October of 2008 I purchased a Quadrant Home. After about 2 years I noticed the top layer of the driveway was coming off. I reported it to them and they insisted that I had put salt on it to melt the ice. This never happened!!

Just last week I found out my toilet was never sealed when it was installed so I had to replace the entire floor. Just as a fluke I had the Contractor check my other bathroom. Same problem!! I'm sure after this much time they will not do anything about it. But really - who would know to check the seals on their toilets?!!

I would NEVER buy another Quadrant home!

Cheri
Astor Creek Homeowner
You should have let Quadrant know right away before doing any repairs. Large companies sometime do work out of warranty to preserve their reputation.
Flag Wed Aug 27, 2014
In 2009 Quadrant was sued a SECOND time by an individual. The first was in '07 in a class action suit. Here: http://goo.gl/iGkEV for more details.

Since that time their reputation has improved considerably. But it's still caveat emptor: buyer beware. Even with new construction it is imperative to have a thorough home inspection done by a licensed and reputably company. Much of what is being sued about could have been precluded with the inspection. Hindsight, I know.

We encourage all our clients to utilize inspection services on any/all properties they are interested in.

Glad to help, just email pleng@kw.com or call 206-409-6600 for more.

Regards and respect,

Phil Leng
What's in a name?

Well, I would say that on the surface, Quadrant is recognized as a reputable builder. The thing you need to remember is that home builders hire out the work to general contractors and subcontractors. A builder can be reputable but still hire "so so" or bad contractors no matter how big they are. When buying/building a new construction home it's important to periodically visit to the work site to make sure things are looking good along the way. Another suggestion I have is to introduce yourself to the construction manager - if possible. Also, no matter what home you buy, ALWAYS conduct an inspection with a highly regarded & very picky home inspector. Finally, newly constructed homes have warranties to cover many of the problems that come along with homeownership. Be sure to know the warranties provided by the builder in case anything happens post-move-in! Cheers and Good Luck!
Faulkland,
Quadrant is a reputable builder, but you would always do well to consider all the options in the area. Each builder has a signature that they are known by and each builder will have some dissatisfied owners for various reasons.
With all purchases, get your own broker to represent you and get an independent inspection done. While builders have warranties, they have time limits and some issues I've had inspectors find may not have been an issue until well after the warranty expired.