Home Buying in Little Italy>Question Details

TH, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Is Porta D'Italia a good place to live? I was wondering about the noise, can you hear your neighbors? All the reviews on the place are years old.

Asked by TH, San Diego, CA Tue Jun 19, 2012

Answers

7
I love it here. It's definitely city with the planes flying overhead, train sounds blocks away, and the 5 freeway very close. I have no problems with neighbors, however, the hotel at the corner of Fir and Columbia sometimes has a nightclub atmosphere and you can hear (if you leave window/patio open) patrons stumbling late at night. it's downtown, but clean, safe, and fun. Parking is very tight both inside and outside the complex. Nearby access to trolley line is a real plus.
Porta D'Italia is in Little Italy which is more mellow than anything in downtown. You should expect at least a little noise if you live anywhere from uptown to downtown. And if you consider that the downside of the area, the upside would be the walk-ability. North Park, University Heights, Little Italy, and Downtown (just to name a few) have great access to restaurants, bars and shopping that you wouldn't be able to take advantage of if you lived somewhere that might be quieter in San Diego. It's where the action is, and noise comes with action!
As someone who lives in the city, there is always noise. Cars, people, nightlife. Porta D'Italia has a little less traffic though as compared to Gaslamp or the Petco park area. But as to neighbors it just depends were you are located in the building. Something you might not find out until after you move there.
Porta D'Italia is a nice condo community that has alot to offer based on its location in the heart of Little Italy.

Noise is definately subjective, not just from neighbors but also from the local businesses and street activity. So, alot of the noise activity will depend on which unit and location within the building.

You can search for active listings by building on my website, as well as get automatic updates whenever a new listing hits the market. Feel free to check it out at http://www.GreaterGoodRealty.com and click on the "Search By Building" icon on the home page.

By the way, I am the co-founder of Greater Good Realty. In addition to providing valuable information about the San Diego real estate market, my company donates 10% of our commissions to local charities and non-profit organizations throughout San Diego.

We hope to make a difference for those in our neighborhoods!

Good luck on your search.

David Stone
Greater Good Realty

CA DRE#01888818
I've sold this condo a number of times. For the price and location, it offers really good value. Is it the same as a more expensive condo, probably not.

Noise is a subjective thing and can occur with any condo...If you are sensitive to this, then check the unit out carefully at different times of day. Depending upon where in the building is, you may hear some street noise, and other assorted sounds.

For the price point...Porte D'Italia is probably the best of the entry level condos in Little Italy.
TH,

Porta D'Italia is a lovely place to live, but only you can make that determination as every person has different taste in what is good place to live. You are super close to the airport, but you get the noise. You are at walking distance to all the wonderful restaurants in Little Italy, you are close to the jobs downtown, close to the beach, bay, Coronado, etc.

Can you hear your neighbors? If you want to hear, you will hear a lot of things. Properties are insulated, but if you are not into condos, perhaps Porta D'Italia may not be for you, and maybe you prefer a single family detached home.

As far as reviews, take them for what they are worth, like reviews on a movie. You know what they say, everybody has an opinion =) some of the reviews don't even come from homeowners or people that have lived there and can't be verified. Like I tell all my clients, go to the area and spend a day, and then drive during the night to get a better picture before buying there.

If you are not already working with a REALTOR, or not happy with the one you are working, I would love to represent you in your purchase.

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
619-954-2225
125*142*10754
efax 619-270-2516
Hello TH,

Yes, Porta D'Italia condos are great. As far as hearing your neighbors, you might have that anywhere. But the HOA manger can assist you, if you have problems with neighbors. You will defiantly hear air traffic from airplanes. You are walking distance to the best restaurants, historic landmarks and downtown. You might want to consider Mission Hills and Bankers Hill too. Hillcrest also will be a great community, walking distance to Balboa Park, dog park, museums,restaurants and historic landmarks. If you want to schedule a viewing or viewings, feel free to contact me.

Michael Alex
REAL ESTATE CONSULTANT
cell. 619.581.9348 | fax. 619.521.0100
email. AskMichaelAlex@prusd.com
2365 Northside Dr Suite #200
San Diego, CA 92108
Prudential California Realty