Judith Carey, Renter in Hudson, NH

Is Port St. Lucie in a flood zone; what are the flood zone taxes like in that area?

Asked by Judith Carey, Hudson, NH Mon Sep 30, 2013

Answers

3
The answers here are incorrect. I am a resident of Port St Lucie, live in the southeastern corner of St Lucie county, near the Jensen Beach, Martin County line, 2 miles from the ocean & Intracoastal, and 1/2 mile from the below sea level Savannahs State Preserve. I built my own home in 1991 when the "new" flood maps were just confirmed for that 10 year period. As expected, the lot I was interested in purchasing was taken off the flood zone designation, & I proceded to build. 10 years later, even more areas east of Rte 1 were removed from the flood zone designation. Within the past 3 years, since the 2009 flooding from an unusual several days tropical storm (locals called "a hundred year storm"),... Port St Lucie has built several large retention ponds east of rte 1 to alleviate any potential future flooding, and made extraordinary improvements to drainage swales & canals. In a recent 4 day rain, there was no standing water on roads anywhere east of Rte 1. In 22 years, none of my homeowner's insurance companies (4) have ever suggested I purchase flood insurance because of my location. A recent article in our main Treasure Coast newspaper, in discussing the much publicised hike in flood insurance premiums for coastal communities country-wide, specifically noted that St Lucie County had submitted updated revisions to the federal flood program before the deadline 2 yrs ago, and therefore would see no increases, 1 of 2 counties on the FL east coast uneffected by the insurance hikes. However, were I interested in purchasing real estate west of the FL Turnpike, I would be very careful to get flood history from PSL Public Works/ Stormwater Mgnt/ Sewer & Water depts..
Hi Judith Carey,
Partially all of Florida is in a flood zone. But, that doesn’t mean that flood insurance will be required in all areas. The closer you are to the ocean or gulf, the more likely your lender will require flood insurance. On the Treasure Coast anything East of US1 will require the additional insurance. However your best source for more information regarding flood insurance would be your insurance underwriter.
Thank you for the question.
Chris J Lewis, CDPE
Broker/President/Realtor®
Atlantic Winds Realty, Inc.
Office: 800.732.4707
Mobile: 772.240.4969
Visit our website at: http://www.AtlanticWindsRealty.com or http://www.TCBankowned.com
Judith,
You are paying attention to one of the most important issues facing home owners and home buyers today. Flood insurance will receive much less or no subsidies. This will result in astromonical flood insurance costs. Make certain to discuss this with your real estate professional so you can properly prepare should you choose a 'big water view' home.