randrandom, Home Buyer in Madison, WI

Is Odana Rd. noisy?

Asked by randrandom, Madison, WI Tue Apr 2, 2013

I am considering a house near Odana & S. Segoe. But am concerned that the road may be too noisy. Anyone living there? Do you think if it is noisy?

Donna Hermsen & Dan O'Brien’s answer
Since everyone's opinion of "noisy" is different, it is always best to decide for yourself if the noise level is something you can live with. Park your car on the street during the busier time of day and watch and listen. You may also want to schedule a showing of the home during this time and listen to how much noise you hear from inside the home. Check out the noise from different rooms in the home, open the windows, go into the bedroom and listen. Then you can decide if its the home for you.
Good luck with your home purchase.
Donna & Dan
Even though Odana is a major thoroughfare on the west side, in that context, it is not that noisy. Now, will it compare to a more secluded house in a tucked away neighborhood? Of course not.
I know of a few acquaintances and friends who live in that area, and they seem well pleased.
But the previous advice of checking the area out personally is good advice.
I would say not, most of the traffic is passing through at a constant rate of speed. Most noise comes from acceleration and deceleration.
It is a busy road. I do not know about noise. It would depend on the house and yard
I lived on Odana Road for about 15 years and didn't have any problem with the noise. With issues like this it is best to visit the property and see for yourself. What may be an issue for one person may not be an issue for another person, so I would not base your purchase decision on the opinion of others. With sound, when you're in a actually in a home your awareness of noise outside the home may be a lot different than what you might think it will sound like. Visit the property at key times and see for yourself. Then you can make an informed decision.