Home Buying in Willard-Hay>Question Details

Abeno, Other/Just Looking in Willard-Hay, Minneap...

Is Newton Ave N, minneapolis minn. (Willard-Hay) a nice area to live?

Asked by Abeno, Willard-Hay, Minneapolis, MN Tue Dec 1, 2009

My husband and I just moved here and we are looking for a nice starter home, probably a forclosed home that we can vamp up!

Answers

16
Susan, I have read the Code of Ethics, and it clearly states we can not steer or blockbust, but we required to give information to the customer to look up that info for themselves if, and when, they start house hunting - this is public information for the consumer. In my post I put a number and web site that come directly from the Agency disclosure form which we are required to present to the consumer at first contact - client or not, so they are aware of our representation, our obligations, and our code of conduct and the rules we as members of NAR are sworn (and monitored) to follow as a part of our Professionalism. Thus, when it comes to providing information based on our own biased opinions, this is considered a form of discrimination. Therefore, it is up to the customer/consumer/client/public to seek that information, it is up to us to provide sources where data of that information can be sought. While we only provide the sources of reputable information, we do not provide a biased opinion. To answer this question is to provide a biased opinion, one of which we are not capable, or knowledgeable, of providing, in addition to breaking our own NAR Code of Professional Ethics and Conduct. Thus, I am in agreeance with Susan Hofflander.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 1, 2009
As mentioned here, Abeno, we are bound by our licensure not to provide any advice or guidance about neighborhoods or areas. That's because it might be construed as "steering" you toward or away from an area because of what WE think. What we think isn't important. What YOU think is important. You can choose a neighborhood for whatever reasons are important to you. So, do your homework online and in person to see if that area works for you.

One of my colleagues here has provided an opinion, but I believe that it inappropriate and in violation of our code of ethics and Fair Housing regulations.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 1, 2009
Drive around the area at different times of the day, and week. Talk to neighboors in the area. You will get a feel for it if you do that.
The Wade Ryan Group, check with MAR. They will tell you that we CANNOT discuss crime stats or any other neighborhood demographic information. You are misinformed.
Abeno, I have a large list of great starter homes in the near north /camden neighborhodds. If you have talent with home restoration there are many opportunites for you to invest in a great home with additional help from the city of minneapolis ($10,000.00) towards down payment assistance. Also the Pohlad foundation is offering $8,000.00 towards down payment assistance . Both these programs are valid in the 55411 and 55412 zip codes. There are numerous rehab loans available as well for qualified buyers. Feel free to contact me for more information at your convenience. my cell is 651 230 1648. All the best and have a great holiday season! Lance Fraser 651 230 1648
Web Reference: http://lakesarearealty.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 13, 2009
I think quite a few agents mis-understand steering and block busting. If you decide to work with a buyers agent that is representing you, it is his or her duty to point out things like crime statistics, school performance etc. If an agent was talking about protected classes i.e. race, number of families with children etc, it would be a possible violation. I would recommend you find an agent that sounds like they will protect you and make sure you buy in a safe neighborhood that has the chance of good appreciation.
Yes, Carla, completely agree with you. Though, the State mandated continuing ed instructors have cautioned us about what data sources we provide for our clients to find that info. The ones you provided are on the agency form, therefore available at initial contact. Beyond that, the instruction has been to allow clients to do their own research.
Agents who have answered this question with actual information about the nature of this neighborhood are in violation of Fair Housing regulations. Please stop doing that.
You can get the info you seek at http://www.corr.state.mn.us or call 651-361-7200.
Web Reference: http://www.corr.state.mn.us
There are some great areas of North Minneapolis with beautiful homes. There are also some area with higher crime rates. Check this link below to decide for your self, then give me a call. I'll help you through the process, and you may even have some fun!
Colin
I think if you drove through the very neighborhood you describe you would immediatly know if it is the right neighborhood for you. Also, check out the crime stats on the police website. Between the two it will make your decision very easy.
Web Reference: http://www.lennyfrolov.com
I would say no. I sell a to of homes in minneapolis to both buyers and sellers. That area has quite a few crime report. If you need a good agent that knows the area try http://WWW.joeniece.com. You could tell me more about yourself and i could suggest areas.
Minneapolis has several distinct areas in terms of neighborhoods. I agree with the others that say to drive around and take a look. The areas around the lakes and parkways will be the most expensive due to the extensive trail system Minneapolis has built for walking, biking, jogging, or roller blading. You might want to drive the Grand Rounds which follows the parkways around the city. When you see an area you like, pull off and look around the neighborhood.

Enjoy your tour of the City of Lakes and let me know if you have any further questions.
Web Reference: http://HomeByFriday.com
It depends on what you are looking for in a neighborhood to live. One of the best things you can do is to drive the area you are considering purchasing property and see what it is like. Talk to the police department about the crime rates in the different neighborhoods being considered. Real Estate Agents are restricted by law what they can and can not say about a certain neighborhood. Do your homework. Then ask your agent to give you price trends and market evaluations of properties you are considering. Be an informed Buyer and learn as much as you can.
No idea.
You will need to ask people that lives around.

Maybe going to some griceries storeas and tak to the cashiers about it.

Good luck and welcome to Minnesota.

Benito.
Knowing what you are looking for in a neighborhood would be helpful in determining a good area for you to buy in. Are you looking for a neighborhood close to work, shoping, parks, freeways?