Home Buying in New London>Question Details

dave, Home Buyer in Virginia Beach, VA

Is New London, CT a good place to live? (I am single male with no kids)

Asked by dave, Virginia Beach, VA Thu Aug 7, 2014

There is a chance I will be changing jobs in the near future and have been looking at houses in the New London area. (Lyme, East Lyme, Waterford, New London, Groton, Stonington & Westerly, RI) It appears New London offers more house for the money than some of the neighboring towns. I'd like to be close to the water (river or ocean), with a decent plot of land; preferably under $400K. I've noticed New London offers some older historic homes; they aren't "beachy" but very nice. Any pros/cons with New London? Any suggestions about the near by towns/living? Thanks!

Answers

5
Areas are all about personal preferences, budgets, wants, needs, lifestyle; therefore consider researching areas of interest on your own, and take the time to visit more than once, then determine where your comfort level can best be reached; don't simply just entertain what other people think or say, another's opinion may not be anywhere near the best thing for you...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 7, 2014
So Dave, did you move to New London? If so, how do you like it so far? I'm myself are looking into buying a summer hous in the area so any input would be great. Thanks!
New London rocks. Yes, we have crime (it's a city), but we also have art, restaurants, community groups, a coop, a yacht club, beaches, plays, puppetry, painting classes, and people who aren't quite as.....uptight shall we say as some in nearby town. (Maybe they all moved out, judging by the comment below). You can get to Long and Block islands via high speed ferry; you can get to NY in about 3.5 hours if you drive to New Haven and take Metro North; Providence in an hour; Boston in 2. We have the Garde Arts Center (film festivals, music, plays, musicals); the Hygienic (art shows, music, summer outdoor film festival, art park and a fun, week long winter arts festival); summer festivals on the pier (IAM music festival; Sail Fest; Food Truck festival; BBQ festival; Caribbean festival; Gaelic festival, etc etc); and of course beaches everywhere, literally minutes away.
Depends what you're looking for I guess but I'll give you two examples of why I personally love living here: I went through a phase of misplacing my wallet/debit card. Like, over a dozen times. (Don't ask; I'm actually a functioning professional, but I was going through an adult onset ADHD moment I guess. It's over now). Anyway, I got it back. Every time. With everything in it. Sometimes the supermarket called me; once it came in the mail; another time a guy called me up to tell me he found it in a parking lot. No money lost. No credit cards taken/used. 2nd example: this week, a guy who was driving a good 75mph (35 miles over the speed limit) cut me off coming into town and almost caused an accident. Then he started following me. I thought maybe I was going to die. When I got to where I was going and parked, I got out of my car ready to meet my fate; he came over and apologized for driving like a jerk, shook my hand and told me to have a blessed day.

That's New London.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 6, 2014
Hi! I was delighted to read your post. I've been looking for Sumer houses in the New London area and any input you can give me would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Flag Sat Jan 10, 2015
New London is a terrible place to live, I know, I lived there; crime is rampant and the school system is a joke!
Dave, New London is a great place to live. You can get more house for your money, compared to neighboring towns. check out a recent blog I did on New London http://activerain.trulia.com/blogsview/4468074/new-london-ct…

Looking to move to New London and need help? please contact me at stacystephens@kw.com

Thanks and all the best!