Home Buying in Montavilla>Question Details

Glen, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

Is Montavilla considered a good neighborhood to buy in for the future?

Asked by Glen, Portland, OR Tue Mar 4, 2008

Answers

3
Hello Glen, A purchase in a particular neighborhood should be based on certain variables; such as current business and future growth plans and how that matches your own plans; also take into consideration current values to calculate the investment you should make. A personal desire to succeed and establish roots can go a long way in determining whether or not a purchase is right for your future. Unfortunately it is not for a realtor to say whether you should or shouldn't invest in a neighborhood. We can not 'steer' as that is an illegal practice. If you would like resources to check out particular neighborhoods for specific information such as demographics, crime stats, zoning and building codes, etc please let me know, as that is a service I can provide to you to assist in helping you search for the right property. I can provide a Market Tracker (TM) report which will show you the 3 year trend in any given neighborhood, specific to any specific address. Simply let me know if that is something you would like.
Web Reference: http://www.junelizotte.com
Hey Glen,

Like all of Portland - it's pockets... From Washington st to Hawthorne - 85th to 93rd - Sure. Most of the homes are 40's style - (and all have the same good / bad issues). The back side of Tabor is moving out and for some reason is pretty good all the way to the 205. The new max line will have some effect in the future. I've done about 15 - 20 transactions in there and would continue to recomend the area to both first timers and investors - It's a no brainer to new commers as the 84 and 205 cross nearby. Remember - it is a patch work... and changes block by block. All the best!
It can be - depends on what you're looking for :) In terms of appreciation, it is a fairly close in neighborhood and urban homes always appreciate better than suburban homes. Also, if you can purchase a home at a competitive price point, you'll be in a better future position (i.e. sweat equity you can contribute will maximize the value of your investment). But here's the question: are you looking for a home or an investment? If you want a home, your gut instinct will typically answer that question for you - so, go with your instinct! If you find a place you love, buy it because you love it and the "goodness" will follow.