Home Buying in McGaheysville>Question Details

P&w, Home Buyer in McGaheysville, VA

Is Massanutten not pet-friendly? I see good reviews overall but 'pet-friendly' seems to be below average without explanation.

Asked by P&w, McGaheysville, VA Mon Jan 17, 2011

Answers

6
I lived in Massanutten for 17 years and had an indoor dog. I would take the dog for a walk every afternoon. The resort has dog friendly parks and numerous trails throughout the mountain. There are even some hiking trails as long as you have your pets on leash. It is very common to see owners walking their dogs before and after work on the residential roads.
I live in Massanutten and have dogs. Fences are not allowed and there is NO off-leash dog park. So finding somewhere to let your dogs have a really good run is next to impossible. Granted, people may be seen walking their dogs along the edge of the road at various times of the day, but walking your pets along the side of the road is a bit dangerous, considering the tourists driving all over the place and the timeshare salesmen talking with customers, blathering on and not watching the road.
I have thought about buying property in Massanutten, and the major thing holding me back is the rules in certain communities against building fences. I couldn't personally buy a home where I wouldn't be able to fence in part of the yard for my dog, so this may be where the reviews of it not being pet-friendly come from.
Massanutten is very pet friendly. I think I'd be safe to say over 50% of the people up here own pets. LOL
I think Pete answered this well. The resort does have some level walking paths, a large park, and numerous trails throughout the mountain.
Pete Laver - here from the Rockingham Real Estate Team in Harrisonburg, VA. My wife and I used used to live in Massanutten and still own an investment there. We have always found it to be pet friendly, not sure why the below average reviews? The only thing I can think of is that if you are a dog walker the hills might be a challenge however, it is not uncommon to see many owners out in the morning and early evening walking their pets along the streets. It really comes down to where you would eventually purchase on the mountain - there are some nice level streets and cul-de-sacs or there are houses on sloped streets. As long as you are comfortable with the terrain and are picking up after your pets like most communities require Massanutten is great place for pets...at least our black pug and cat loved it :).