Home Buying in Kirkwood>Question Details

Ht, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Is Kirkwood a safe neighborhood?

Asked by Ht, Atlanta, GA Sun May 3, 2009

Answers

8
I've been a Kirkwood resident since 2000. I've seen lots of changes in the neighborhood, all of them great. I like to be outdoors and I prefer to be out early mornings/evenings when the sun is down. I've always "felt safe" during my walks/runs. I might be somewhat biased, since I haven't had any real problems personally.

However, I encourage folks to decide for themselves. There's a City of Atlanta website that provides a graphical representation of crime statistics. http://www.atlantapd.org/findmyzone.aspx If you play around with the data and map for a bit, you'll be surprised how crime in the Kirkwood area is really no worse than crime in other areas of Atlanta that are perceived as safe.

The difference in Kirkwood is the involvement and activism of the Kirkwood neighborhood. NOTHING gets by us. EVERYTHING is reported and shared. We hear about EVERYTHING. And that's a GOOD THING! We watch out for each other, take care of each other.
My daughter and her husband recently (June 2013) moved into the Kirkwood area and were awakened a few nights ago to learn that someone had scaled their 6-foot locked privacy fence and broken into one of their cars. The worst that happened was that they lost a cd player, cds, and a GPS. The fact that they slept less than 10 feet away from this while it occurred was VERY unsettling. I think that they have come to realize that it is the price to pay to live in this type of area, on the outskirts of a large cosmopolitan city.
I am thankful that no one was physically harmed and the police responded promptly when contacted.
The best resource for this information is the local police department or the county sheriff's department. They have access to the most accurate and up to date information and are generally very willing to be helpful.
The only response we are legally allowed to give you is simply this: "statistics and information is available for your review and here is where to find it..."

We are very strictly regulated as to how we can answer questions like that.
Ht,

To answer your question directly, Kirkwood in just SAFE as any urban neighborhood that has experienced a cycle of regentrification over the years. No area is crime free if that's really what you're asking, I grew up in the East Lake/ Kirkwood areas and my dear old mother ( 86 year of living) still lives there. She's been living there for nearly 40 years with no problems whatsoever, of course my siblings and I feel that it's safe enough for moms . . . and she loves it, too.

Additionally, I agree with Lori and Katie . . . please consider your sources, the right source. All local, state and Federal law enforcement agencies provided specific crime stats relating to all geograhical locations as indicated earlier through their designated websites.

To find the level of safety that you are confident with in any neighborhood may require the necessary due diligence or hire an Agent that will provided this research as part of their services.

Give me a call if you need further assistance.

Roger Gibson
Real Estate Consultant
678-851-4463
Ht,

I live on an island in the middle of Kirkwood. I've lived here for 5 years. My wife and I are raising our young daughter here, and we join hundreds of other families in Kirkwood who are here doing the same thing.

In addition, hundreds of people have lived in Kirkwood for decades and crime is always a concern-check out some other Trulia Voices Q&A on crime, and you'll see that this subject arises about Kirkwood and other Intown Atlanta neighborhoods, frequently.

Yeah, so my island is called Hawthorn Park-a 47 home community of recently built houses with a lovely 6 acre park next to it.

Before I lived in Kirkwood, I lived in APD Police Zone 6, in Inman Park. Zone 6 HQ is in Kirkwood, so I began visiting the neighborhood back in 1998. Kirkwood has way less crime than we did back then, and for 2 years we have had a terrific citizen run Security Patrol that adds about 25 hours of uniformed patrolling a week, in addition to the 2 police beat officers that patrol the area, 24x7.

That being said, we have our share of crime. If you live in the city limits, you are 4x more likely to be a crime victim than if you do not.

Start there.

Is Kirkwood safe? Well, let's look at it like I do when I'm advising my clients-qualifying a Kirkwood purchase starts with understanding that your Kirkwood purchase requires a street by street, immediate neighbor by immediate neighbor evaluation. Choose the right house. Once you purchase, choose to be practical with basic, smart security.

Simple.

Is Kirkwood "safe?"

Well, we had a storm 3 weeks ago that ripped down some old growth trees and if you were standing underneath one of those trees, then you were certainly in an "unsafe" part of Kirkwood that night.

We barely had one crime on my island in 5 years and it happened back in September.

Barely-some dudes tried to break in to what they thought was a vacant house, but my neighbor was inside. He screamed like a girl, and they scrammed.

Safety is relative, Ht.

There is always the suburbs, featuring a united nations of gangs, drunken yuppies on golf carts, Whitney Houston behind the wheel of an Escalade, steroid fueled rednecks, and murder/suicides on a much grander scale than us boring old Intowners can possibly create.
Web Reference: http://intowninsider.com
You may find this url a useful resource in investigating neighborhoods in Atlanta: http://gis.atlantaga.gov/gishome/. It has several different kinds of useful maps and information.
Ht, agents are not allowed to comment on 'safe'. It's best to research the neighborhood, check with the local police regarding stats and spend some time in that neighborhood. Ask neighbors, check offender websites, and gather info from trusted resources.