Home Buying in Cedar Rapids>Question Details

Pathfinder126, Home Buyer in Cedar Rapids, IA

Is K ave NE a safe area to let college kids live?

Asked by Pathfinder126, Cedar Rapids, IA Wed Nov 14, 2012

Answers

5
I will give you an honest opinion, as I had a friend who lived on this street near Coe C. This area is considered the making of a ghetto. Coe actually tells the students to use caution in this area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 9, 2013
I do not live in the Moundview neighborhood but I do sell homes there. Many residents have lived there for years without incident. However, the closer you get to the college and Irish bar district, the more rowdy the neighborhood and the residents are usually renters rather than owners. Before you buy or rent, make a call to the police department.
Flag Wed Sep 4, 2013
I agree, I lived nearby and it was considered the 'ghetto'. Notice the other comments are from realtors or agents...do they live near Coe?
Flag Tue Apr 2, 2013
The Moundview neighborhood is a diverse area with a mix of rentals and very reasonably priced owner-occupied homes. I have a client who has lived in the Moundview area for several years and has never had a single incident, but ALL college students (and non-college students) should take customary precautions to be safe, like walking after dark with a buddy, locking cars, doors and windows, not opening doors to strangers, etc.. Before buying ANY property, a call to the police department and an internet search of the state's sex offender registry will let you know if there has been any trouble on K Ave in the recent past.
I would highly recommend contacting your local police department. They can provide you with types of calls to the area and the frequency. This is a good rule of thumb as a starting point. Safety and comfort levels are personal based on one's experiences.

Also, visit with neighbors in the area. You may want to drive around the area at different times of the day. Always trust your gut instinct. In today's world it is best to be aware of one's surroundings at all times.

Hope these ideas help!
We have never had an issues at this property.
I invite you to check out the city of Cedar Rapids website and look for crime statistics. They have records of all reported crimes for all areas of Cedar Rapids. For being the second largest city in Iowa, CR has a low overall crime rate!