Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

Peter Little, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Is Hillcrest a good area to ride a bicycle? When I lived in SF there was a bicyclist hit by a car averaging one a month. That's no good.

Asked by Peter Little, San Francisco, CA Wed Jan 23, 2013

Answers

7
Hi Peter,

Hillcrest is a pretty great area for bike riding. Lots of shops, restaurants, and "bikeable" destinations. That being said, it is fairly urban, and you would be sharing with cars, pedestrians, buses, etc. Caution and preparation is key.

Probably my favorite place to bike around in San Diego is Pacific Beach, which provides plenty of boardwalk space and an unbeatable ocean view to boot. It's also got plenty of bikeable spots -- restaurants and shops galore.

If you are more into nature trails, I can't recommend San Marcos highly enough -- miles and miles of untouched trails and ocean views. Fresh air, cool breezes, can't be beat!
HI Peter.

The areas is relatively flat and is a popular village here in San Diego. As the others have shared however, it is very crowded, with loads of cars, buses, and pedestrians. I can't vouch for safety.

I do see a lot of people bicycling at Mission Bay's Park, Balboa Park, Penasquitos Canyon Trails, and other 'off-road' recreation facilities.
Great question. There is a lot of traffic in the Hillcrest area and as another agent pointed out, there are no bike lanes. It can be dangerous and it wouldn't be an area that I would say is a good area to ride a bicycle unless you are in the neighborhoods and not on the main streets.
HIllcrest is generally a good area for bikes. it is pretty flat and close to Balboa Park. It has some very busy streets so care is needed as in any urban setting. However using the back street may be the safest way to go.
This is the contact information for the Balboa Park storefront station and they could answer your question. 1549 El Prado, San Diego, CA 92101 (619) 685-8206
If you need help finding a home I would be glad to help you.
Local Help with Your Real Estate Needs

Jerry Heard
Your Broker
The San Diego Property Shop
http://www.TheSanDiegoPropertyShop.com
jerry.sdps@cox.net
Direct 619-920-9796
Office 619-269-5545
Fax 619-269-9168
CA DRE # 00648687
Hillcrest is a community that plenty of people ride bikes in, as I lived just down the way in Bankers Hill. Just remember you are riding in an urban environment, not all roads have bike lanes. I would definitely be cautious of cars in the area and stay to the sides when you can. Balboa Park is closeby and there are great bike rides all over San Diego City.
-As a former employee of a bicycle shop and nearby resident and bike rider of the area, remember bicycle safety starts with a Helmet, both Front and Back lights for your bike(the Law at night), possibly reflective gear, along with reflective strips on your bike. Make sure your bike is in good riding condition and yes there are potholes in our fine city, I suggest a thicker road tire with run flat or puncture resistant. Popping a flat can endanger city riding. All that said, check the local police department for bicycle accidents vs. cars, it happens everywhere. A lot of bike riders in NorthPark also. Hope that helped?

Jon
Web Reference: http://sdpacifichomes.com
It's the city, so there's always going to be a chance that you'll get hit! It would probably be better to go to the beach or use a bike path somewhere. If you're thinking of riding to work, rush hour traffic won't make it any safer. There are so many distracted drivers these days!
Is any urban area safe to ride bikes? I prefer Mission Bay with miles of bike paths on the sand. Or numerous canyon bike trails, or mountain trails, or Balboa Park, or Coronado Strand. For urban area I prefer my Vespa for quick bite to eat at my favorite restaurant in the village.