Home Buying in Getty Square>Question Details

Lucy Luzon, Home Owner in Riverdale, Bronx, NY

Is Getty Square consider a good neighborhood/ safe to raise a family? I asked somebody and they told me it was like the ghetto part of yonkers...

Asked by Lucy Luzon, Riverdale, Bronx, NY Mon Jan 13, 2014

Answers

12
These Realtors and Agents will not come forth and be honest with you. They only see $ signs and don't really care what they sell. Stay away from Getty Square Lucy. It's the highest Crime area in Yonkers.
Stay far away from Getty Square or Southwest Yonkers. Bad neighborhoods! Live in Northwest Yonkers in 10710 near of all the shopping areas and you will be happy.
Flag Sat Apr 11, 2015
Lucy,
Licensed realtors are by NY State Licensing Law not allowed to give their opinion on a neighborhood. What one person deems one way another may not. That's why you need to form your own opinion and visit the area during the day and evening. This will allow you to see for yourself and form your own opinion of Getty Square. Getty Square is a beautiful area that Yonkers has infiltrated with construction and upgrades in the neighborhood in the last 7 years. Visit the Metro North train station and walk around.That being said like all large cities it is the downtown area of the city of Yonkers. All cities have different sections.
Flag Sat May 3, 2014
You do know realtors cannot say what is or isn't a good area?
Flag Tue Jan 14, 2014
Your very welcomed Lucy - The best area codes in Yonkers are 10708 (Bronxville), 10710 that's Central Ave -SW Yonkers, 10704 (Bronx River Road/Yonkers Ave. Area codes 10701, 10703 and 10705 are not good. I would avoid those three zip codes :) Have a great day! Getty Square is 10701 and 10703 not good.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 14, 2014
I am another prospective buyer looking to purchase and I simply want to say it is appreciated very much to have James Sapounakis give an honest answer. Too often brokers are afraid to be honest about areas & waste clients time suggesting they go to the police dept for statistics. Thank You James ! ! prospe
Flag Thu Jan 16, 2014
The question is subjective; why entertain what other people think or say, another's opinion may not be anywhere near the best thing for you, therefore research the area on your own, consider visiting more than once and at different times of day; possibly chat with locals/neighbors, etc.; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods. When it comes to any crime/safety concerns, always best to check with the local police department.....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 13, 2014
lucy......10703 is not ghetto...10701 is though......10705 is not ghetto either.......The problem with Yonkers is every other municipality in Westchester sends it's welfare, ghetto, no wanna work hood rat trash to0 Yonkers
Selling a 1 br garden style coop in Yonkers ny zip 10710 = close to Bronxville and transit. Monthly maintenance is $500. Price negotiable! Better neighborhood then Bronx!!! Contact me: sncpublic@yahoo.com
It's the downtown of ghettos in the Yonkers area! So to answer your question: NO!
Hi Lucy, i have a coop listing north of Getty Square which would make a great gift for your mom.
Click on this link for more info. http://www.trulia.com/property/3144453712-150-Glenwood-Ave-Y… Feel free to contact me should you have any questions.
Thank you so much James. I had the feeling because properties prices are too low in the area. Any area in Yonkers, that you can recommend? Thanks
Hi Lucy, you really just need to do some research and figure out your top priorities. An area that is "safe" may not necessarily appreciate in value as quickly as an up-and-coming area. If your mother's sense of safety is most important, call the local police precincts and get an idea of crime rates, etc. Also, she may prefer a neighborhood where there are a lot of other people her age with which to interact.
Flag Tue Jan 14, 2014
Thank you everybody, for all your answer. I will do a lot of research first, to avoid making a mistake.
The best neighborhood is the one you can afford to live in. Create a budget and find a neighborhood that fits your budget. Try to avoid offensive terms that are derogatory to neighborhoods where people live. Every neighborhood has people in it working to make it safe for themselves and their families. @AskReynet.
Web Reference: http://AskRey.net
No agent will be able to answer this for you due to strict license laws. Your best bet is to drive through during the day and at night and formulate your own opinion.

Chris
Just an FYI, here, Chris. It is not License Laws that operate here but Federal Fair Housing Laws and NY State Human Rights Law. It has less to do with an agent's honesty and more to do with those conversations that are prohibited by Fair Housing legislation.
Flag Sat Apr 19, 2014
I have an apartment in the Bronx in Riverdale, but I was looking to buy my mom an apt as a gift, she likes a property in Getty Square Tks.
I have a jr 4 coop listing in Riverdale that you can buy your mom as a gift :)
Flag Mon Jan 13, 2014