Home Buying in Woodbridge>Question Details

Ram, Home Buyer in Woodbridge, NJ

Is Electric heat is very expensive compared to Gas heat? Also, would the appliances gets worn down quickly if we use electric heat?

Asked by Ram, Woodbridge, NJ Tue Jul 12, 2011

I see many apartments /homes with Electric heat and Gas Heat. A friend advised me that Electric heat is pretty expensive; moreover, it seems the appliances get worn down quickly. Can someone advise? Any place where I can lookup the figures?
Ram

Answers

3
It depends on if the house has newer windows and how well insulated the home is. The best thing to do is the request a year of electric bill and see if it will work for you.
Team Stevens & Manley was able to get me the past bill amounts which helped me.
Flag Sun Feb 24, 2013
Ask your realtor to get the overall average.
Flag Wed Oct 31, 2012
It almost is the same in my home. Just conserve and your bills will be lower.
Flag Tue Oct 23, 2012
The cape cod market is booming! Take advangate of the interest rates & prices! Now is the time to buy!! Call us and we guide you through the process!!
Flag Wed Oct 17, 2012
We have had both and depending on how you live. Would depend on your bills. I have an enery audit which was very helpful.
Flag Sun Oct 14, 2012
Seems like it almost is the same.
Flag Tue Oct 9, 2012
It depends on the type of electric heat, climate, construction... Electric baseboard heat and electric forced hot air furnaces are substantially more expensive. The one advantage to electric baseboard heat is the ability to have multiple zones. If there are thermostats in each room, you can lower the heat in rooms that are not used.

Electric heat should have no bearing on the other appliances in the house.

Feel free to contact me for more information. I don't make money for referrals, just my inspections.

Rafi Footerman
Mid Jersey Inspections
http://www.MidJerseyInspections.com
732-906-4100
NJ Home Inspector Lic. #076900
Electric heat can be very expensive. Suggest you ask the landlord/current tenant for acual billing history so you can evaluate whether the cost is in or out of your budget.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com