julieolink, Home Buyer in Saint Simons Island,...

Is East Beach on St. Simons Island, GA, in a flood zone? How much is flood insurance?

Asked by julieolink, Saint Simons Island, GA Mon Aug 1, 2011

Answers

5
Yes, East Beach is located in a flood zone. Flood insurance is best determined by the insurance company of your choice, they all write FEMA flood insurance, and homeowners insurance will vary depending on the coverage you choose. If you need a referral for flood insurance, please let me know, I am always happy to make referals for my clients!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 15, 2013
What does X-zone mean in the listing?
Depending on the exact location on East Beach, you could be in a Velocity Zone or an AE Zone. Either way, you will need flood insurance. Only an insurance person can give you the FEMA quote as it varies from lot to lot and home to home, depending on the elevation of the lot and the living space.
Thank you for your thorough answer. Very helpful.
Yes, Yes and yes. 95 % of St Simons Island is in a flood zone. It is an ISLAND after all. East Beach is a point on an inlet. Flood zones are rated based on wind, possible hieight of water etc. I would gues that because off its exposed nature East beach would be in a volicity zone and a flood zone. Meaning the insurance would be very high. Propbably in excess of $2k annually. I would check with a local insurance company. I can tell you although my office is on Saint Simons I leave on the mainland near a river and on a 3,000 sf house my flood insurance is $1,200 annually and that is away from the ocean and a volocity zone.