Home Buying in Carmel Valley>Question Details

ag00, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Is Carmel Valley considered part of Del Mar?

Asked by ag00, San Diego, CA Sun Jun 10, 2012

I was confused because looking around the area, several restaurants and businesses in Carmel Valley have "Del Mar" listed as the city rather than Carmel Valley. I was just wondering is Carmel Valley simply a neighborhood and the city is considered Del Mar or is it all considered simply San Diego?

Answers

9
In the beginning, Carmel Valley had two major developers: Baldwin calling their area north of SR56 "Carmel Del Mar"; and Pardee who called their area "Del Mar Highlands". You can see these name references on monument signs or street signs within Carmel Valley, especially near Torrey Pines High School. Happy house hunting in Carmel Valley, Carmel Del Mar or Del Mar Highlands. (And south of SR56) Whatever you call it, it's a GREAT place to live!
Carmel Valley is not Del Mar. Carmel Valley is part of the city of San Diego, zip code 92130 and Del Mar is part of the county of San Diego zip code 92014.
Businesses are trying to capture the added value of a Del Mar reference. I often see "La Jolla" businesses that are located in Clairemont and University City, same issue.
Carmel Valley is defined by 92130 and Del Mar by 92014.

Del Mar's furthest western point is the ocean, and moving east, and the general cutoff is very close to I-5.
Thank you!
Flag Thu Jun 14, 2012
To add to the confusion - there are some parts of Carmel Valley and San Diego that are within the Del Mar postal delivery district. I used to live west of I-5 but east of the canyon, which is San Diego, but my mailing address was Del Mar.
No Carmel valley is not Del Mar
It is a very nice area but not Del Mar
Web Reference: http://Topcarealestate.com
Thanks for all the answers you guys! Appreciate it!

@Jessica Nguyen, exactly! How unfortunate! :( Del Mar sounds so wealthy and like a tropical resort! I was looking into buying in the Carmel Valley area and If I did I only wish I would have been able to say I live in Del Mar. lol
Both agents above are correct. I like to add Del mar sounds more fancy! Thats why they try to get away with it. =) Carmel valley is in the city of San Diego n not del mar. Depending where you are in Carmel valley, your kids may go to del mar school district, San dieguito, poway n San Diego.
Carmel Valley and Del Mar have different zip codes: CV-92130 and DM-92014. Carmel Valley is actually considered part of the city of SD not Del Mar. Hope that helps, Filly
No...Carmel Valley is just east of Interestate 5 and Del Mar is just west. It does get confusing though because there is a Carmel Valley developments known as 'Del Mar Heights" and 'East Del Mar.'

In general though, if you think of Carmel Valley east and Del Mar west, you should be just fine.