Home Buying in Morgan Hill>Question Details

MC, Home Buyer in Morgan Hill, CA

Is Capriano area good with railload so close?

Asked by MC, Morgan Hill, CA Fri Jun 8, 2012

Hi, I see there are some very nice looking homes in Capriano area (near Tilton & Dougherty). But I'm concerned about the railroad being so close to the homes. Is there a way to find out how often trains pass by? Does anyone know how loud the trains are when they pass by? Is this a big concern that I should worry about?
MC

Answers

3

Thank you both for your inputs. I'll revisit the area and check out a couple of homes there. John, do you know how often the freight trains come by? I heard these heavy trains can shake the ground nearby, but I don't know how close is "too" close. The homes I'm interested in are about 700 ft from the railroad. Maybe I'm just being too paranoid. My agent doesn't recommend this area, but we like the homes there.

Thanks again,

MC
I can't say for sure but I would guess freight trains don't pass by more than once a day or so. I once lived 100 feet from the train tracks in Willow Glen in an old townhouse. They were incredibly disruptive but we were so close and the construction was from the '60s. But again, it was only once or so each day so we lived with it and considered it character. I'm not sure why your agent would have a problem with that area. I have listed in there and known a few homeowners in there and they had great homes. I especially loved the huge lots of the earlier phases. Many are over 10,000 feet! You don't find that anymore in new construction. Good luck to you.
Flag Sat Jun 9, 2012
Hi MC,

The tracks serve CalTrain and also freight trains but the traffic is light. The CalTrains typically run during commute hours and there is a station over on Depot street between Main and East Dunne. Capriano is made up of newer modern homes that are well insulated and have dual-pane windows so they are quiet inside. If you are especially sensitive to noise I would recommend you visit that area when trains go by and listen for them but they are pretty quiet unless they blow their horns. When they do that you can hear them miles away; I live near Anderson Reservoir, about six miles from there and I hear the horns on rare occasion.

One thing that might be more of a concern in that neighborhood is the occasional smells from the mushroom farms to the north. Morgan Hill is a beautiful city but it is also an agricultural town so we sometimes get smells from farms or even the scent of garlic from Gilroy to the south.

Please let me know if I can help any further.

John Wunderlich
Wunderlich Realty
Broker - owner / Realtor
(408) 201-4007
Hi MC,
The frequency of CalTrain can be viewed at: http://www.caltrain.com/schedules/weekdaytimetable.html
The trains are very quiet.
Actually, one of the reasons "very nice looking homes in Capriano area" are there is because of convenience of the commute train. People walk or ride their bike to the station and go to work.
I would not worry about the sound or frequency of CalTrain. It is more of a value-adding feature to those who want to live out of the city but not drive in to work.
Text or email me with any further information I can provide.
Mike Walters
831/630-3717 cell/text
Mike@CaHomes411.com email
Web Reference: http://www.CaHomes411.com