Home Buying in Seattle>Question Details

pstahlman, Other/Just Looking in Brentwood, TN

Is Ballard good place to buy reasonably priced home for Amazon software engineer? Prefer fenced yard and 4 BR for family of 5.

Asked by pstahlman, Brentwood, TN Tue Jul 1, 2014

Answers

6
Like Dan, I'd also ask if you're in Seattle yet? My concern would be that coming from Tennessee that Ballard might be too urban for you. It's a sought after area for sure, but it just might not be too much of a culture shock. It is a fairly high density area and most the houses are on rather small lots.

I raise that concern in part because I once had a client from New York City who referred to the area just east of Ballard as rural. What you're used to affects your perception.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 2, 2014
Hi pstahlman,

Ballard is a great community. I would advise also looking into Queen Anne or Magnolia. The eastern part of the Lake Washington is beautiful but the yards are smaller. Another great community is Wallingford, a slightly longer distance but the family charm is one many of my clients have enjoyed.

The most important differential in this discussion is the community. Ballard is a younger more "hip" crowd at times and very diverse.

Believing the best for you,

Kamran
Ballard is a wonderful neighborhood. Be certain to check it out during the weekday and weekend. The area can have a very different feel. It is a short commute to the Amazon campus, has fun restaurants that are very welcoming to kids and adults alike. Take a look at the Ballard Blog it is a good place to start. If I can help, let me know. Welcome to Seattle!
Web Reference: http://www.myballard.com
call a couple different realtors and talk with them about neighborhoods you are interested in. WHen you get here, the easiest thing to do, is check out each neighborhood during the day and and night to get a good feel of the city.
@pstahlman
Ballard is the BEST!
For Amazonian's it works great too just because you can take public transit right in to South Lake Union.
Looks like there are Three on the market now at 4 bed 1.5+ bath under 400K.
Justin.
Pstahlman,
Ballard is a fine neighborhood, but of course it will depend on your price range and other factors. Are you in Seattle yet? I'd encourage you to select a Realtor early to start sending you listings and sharing with you about the various neighborhoods and your families preferences.
I did a quick search for 4+ bedrooms and 2+ baths and in Ballard only found 2. In Ballard and the surrounding areas found several more starting in the low $400k range. I don't know if this meets your definition of "reasonably priced" but it's a place to start.
Welcome to the NW. Feel free to let me know if I can help.