Home Buying in Ruskin>Question Details

Johnm, Home Buyer in Ruskin, FL

Is A Lawyer Required For My Closing In Florida?

Asked by Johnm, Ruskin, FL Thu Oct 10, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


On a short sale do I really need a lawyer
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 18, 2015
No, you don't normally need a lawyer for a normal closing. If there are certain complications that you are worried about you can make sure a lawyer is there to look over all of the legal documents.
Web Reference: http://www.kasman.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 7, 2013
As a peace of mind, if you don't have representation you may free to contact the Florida Bar customer service number if you desire to have a Real Estate Attorney represent you. The Florida Bar can give you names of attorneys and numbers that practice real estate law. Please know Realtors cannot give you legal advice nor tell you yes or no to hire an attorney. You may have tax issues to consider, homestead here vs another state and you may even want to put the property into a land trust. These are all issues that a Real Estate Attorney can advise you. I hope this is helpful to you and I wish you a blessed week ahead. All the best Kathleen Century 21.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 16, 2013
Not required but if you are paying all cash it is highly recommended that you have an attorney represent you. The cost is minimal and will give you peace of mind.

If getting a mortgag, your lender will protect their interests so you may not need an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 10, 2013

I realize that many of our Buyers in Florida come from other states with different laws. In New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, for example, all closings are handled by attorneys.

The law does not require that you have an attorney's office conduct your closing in Florida. Most of our closings take place with title companies, who have their own attorneys who review your closing documents and title insurance documents.

However, that being said, I would also add that an attorney CAN conduct your closing, if you want. In my county (Volusia County, Florida), it's customary for the person buying the owner's title insurance policy to select the closing agent. In a normal closing, not a short sale or foreclosure, that person is usually the Seller.

As a Buyer, you can purchase the owner's title insurance policy, and thereby choose the closing agent, if you wish. Or, if you just want an attorney of your choosing to review your paperwork, you can do that. It's up to you.

Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 10, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer