Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Stevet445, Home Buyer in Belmont Shore, Long...

Investment property in Houston Texas is my interest. Where can I maximize my return?

Asked by Stevet445, Belmont Shore, Long Beach, CA Thu Nov 29, 2012

I'd like to my out of pocket to fall between 20% of between 60k and 120k. Is that possible? If so, what type of property are we talking about? Distressed? I'll need an agent that can connect me with the right property manager. SFR o duplex

Answers

7
Based on your price range I would say Bear Creek or Katy north of I-10. However, the local investor competition is fierce right now. Its not my cup of tea. I would look for an agent with alot of listings in 77084 and 77449
Web Reference: http://www.DaveRealty.com
You will most likely have to put down 25% to get a loan on that house. An investment house is a different transaction and most folks don't understand all of the particulars.
Trust me when I say this " Most agents are scared of investments and they definitely do not talk real percentages, so be careful who you ask for advice." What are you trying to accomplish? There are a lot of properties in that price range that can yield returns of at least 20%. Bottom line the price to rent ratio is very high, so this is a great time to buy. Personally I don't like new construction because they are the market and to make a decent return you need to try and purchase a property below market. Are you going to do the work yourself and do you have a Finance background? Not trying to be nosy, I just like to help people when I can.

That being said, the real estate market is a very inefficient market which is great if your willing to look for these inefficiencies and thus hopefully realize a return. There's a lot of different ways of doing it, but you need to know what you want to do first!

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hi Steve,
With interest rates as low as they are I don't think you can lose.
I adhere to the same strategy and I believe 20 years from now we'll both be sitting pretty!! I personally believe in tons and tons of market research before you pull the trigger. The best thing the Katy area has going for it is a massive, high paying, job market. Do you live in Texas? I'm trying to put a few deals together that I think will be great investments. Call me if you want to talk about the current market in Houston. I'm sure you know this, but the value of any asset is the present value of expected future cash flows. There are so many opportunities available to the people who know what they're looking for. Call me if you want to talk more about this. 936-494-8612.
I'm not a realtor just an ambitious person who wants a better future!!
Have a good night!
Flag Thu Dec 6, 2012
I have a few questions Brad, and if your willing, I can describe my objective, which is buy and rent out, and generate a return once its paid off later in life, or sell it when the value appreciates enough
Flag Wed Dec 5, 2012
Steve,

There are a number of subdivisions around Houston that may have properties that would meet your criteria. Distressed properties may fit the bill, but I think you can run a basic NOI on different types of properties to see what fits. I am Short Sale and Foreclosure (SFR) certified and a CPA, so I can give you some good guidance in these areas. Let me know if I can help.

James Brockway
281-684-6482
Hello Steve,

I currently have a home in the Cottage Grove area that would be a great investment property. This home was converted into a duplex and now currently has 2 units with each unit having 1 bedroom, living area and kitchen and separate entries. It does need some updating but I belive it can be very lucrative. Call me if you'd like to discuss.

Mirna Johnson
REMAX Cityview
(832) 239-2475
Houston is a great investment market. ROI is very strong. I have been buying and selling investment houses for many years and would be glad to help. Finding and buying at the right price is the biggest challenge and then managiing your contractors is second. Call me and I will help you out

Dane Bigner
RE/MAX West Houston
281 723 1369
Hello, next line I specialize in working with investors with very similar properties to what you're inquiring about. I am also a master certified negotiation expert. I would be happy to help you in anyway I can, but this is a lot of information to try to answer on Trulia. Please feel free to contact me via email at Brandon Newton at Gmail.com or call me directly at 713-890-9108. Thank you.