Elda, Home Buyer in Seattle, WA

International Student wants to Purchase an Apartment in Seattle

Asked by Elda, Seattle, WA Fri Dec 28, 2012

Hi, I am an international student in Seattle. I have been in US more than 4 years. I have a credit score around 670 last time I checked (mainly due to short length of time I have been here, but no late payment otherwise). I want to purchase an apartment worth around $100,000. I can put around 25% down payment. I am a PhD student in UW. I have been paying rents last 2 years about $950 per month. I want to start putting these payments rather for my mortgage instead of rent. My parents in a foreign country are going to support me to pay the mortgage if needed to. I am also a major shareholder in a foreign company, so I have earning from there too. But my earning here is about $37K per year, part of which goes to my tuition each year and around $23K would be the remaining.
I am not sure if the best place to start with is going to be my main bank or any other place that works more with international students. Please advise me on this matter or if you do you think even if it is possible.
T

Answers

5
Your plan may be feasible, but here's something to think about: Are you sure you're going to be staying in Seattle after you get your PhD? If not, then selling the condo could be a major problem when you want to leave, depending on the market at that point in time.

Decades ago, when I was an undergraduate, I bought a condo, and if I'd left Seattle after graduation I would have been selling at a loss, and that may have been true even after law school (not sure).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 28, 2012
You came to the right place!

To find the right home at the right price, you have to know the market. As the expert in local neighborhoods, I can provide information tailored for your specific home search.
Here’s a good example: I have the resources to evaluate homes in the neighborhoods where you have an interest. This information will educate you on what prices are being paid for homes similar to the ones you are considering.

I know how important it is to have all the information you need to make the right decision. So please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have questions about this service or any other part of your home search. Working together, we make sure that you make the right move.

There are many steps in the home buying process. It’s easy to miss something that can add significantly to the cost of your home.
I’m an expert and can help you simplify this process and get the most home for your money. Here’s how:
I can give you a complete picture of the costs so you know how much home you can afford.
I can help you rule out neighborhoods that don’t fit your needs and find new neighborhoods that do.
I can make sure you have the latest alerts on homes that meet your criteria so other buyers don’t beat you to the punch.
I can keep you informed about what’s happening in the local market.
I can give you in-depth details on each home.
I can quickly schedule tours and give you specific information on the advantages and drawbacks of each property
I can also help you craft offers, present offers to sellers, and much more. Contact me at (benis.dawkins@gmail.com) or (206-883-4222) and I can help make the entire process simpler and more cost effective for you. I can help make sure you make the right move.

Give me a call so I can show you around town.

Here's to our success!

Benis Dawkins
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate
Seattle Wa
Real Estate Broker
Certified Distress Property Expert
Certified Buyers Agent
206-883-4222
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 29, 2012
I suggest you start with the real estate broker first; the relationships we have with our preferred lenders make the process a lot smoother than starting with the money people first.

There isn't a lot of selection, with inventory being as low as it is, but I think you've got a good chance of making this happen.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 28, 2012
If you look at my website you will see that this is one of my specialties, if not the one I focus on the most. click on the photo to open up my personal profile.
You'll need to work with a small local bank, not Bank of America, Wells or Chase. I can make some referrals for you.
I've lived in the Ravenna neighborhood for over 30 years so know this market very well.
I look forward to hearing from you via email.
Web Reference: http://www.nwhome.us
Elda,
I think it may be possible. It will likely come down to how a lender considers your income and if you have much other debt. Your first stop could be a Realtor or a Lender, but the lender will be the necessary step for pre-approval. Rather than walk into just any lender a great Realtor will have recommendations to lenders who have served them well and may have the ability to arrange the financing.
Thanks!
Flag Fri Dec 28, 2012
Elda,
I'm one, so are the others answering the question. You can look at our profiles, our websites and our other answers to find one you feel confident in. I'm sure we would all be happy to help.
Dan
425-868-7653
Flag Fri Dec 28, 2012
Thanks, Can you advise me on how to find the Realtor?
Flag Fri Dec 28, 2012