commuter1112, Home Buyer in Cary, NC

International Buyer on OPT visa

Asked by commuter1112, Cary, NC Thu Feb 21, 2013

I just graduated with my PhD in chemical engineering and have worked at a local company for 7 months. Is it possible for me to take a mortgage on OPT type visa? Anyone can recommend a lender who has the experiences with international students?

Answers

3
If you are still looking to purchase a home, call me for information that can help you. I just helped a buyer to purchase a home with similar situation as yours. Call me at 919-656-1439

Azita Wilson
Broker, Keller Williams
azitaw@livingincary.com
919-656-1439
Web Reference: http://www.livingincary.com
I think most lenders will be hesitant to lend to you as a U.S. resident on an OPT visa. Your time allowed on that visa is only up to 29 months, and you've already utilized 7. So basically, you only have a possible 22 months in that status.

However, you might convinced someone to grant you a mortgage aimed at foreigners. You'll have to make a higher down payment, and pay higher interest, but at least you'll lock in the price of the home. Then if you do switch to a H1B or other visa type, you may be able to refinance.

Or just wait until you have longer-term status in the United States... ? A lot depends on your future plans.
depend how many yrs you have left on visa. Email me at myrealestatebroker@nc.rr.com so I can meet you sometime an explain you the process.