Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Van Woerkom, Home Buyer in Novato, CA

Interested in the Chicago suburbs. Children are ages 7 - 16 so great schools important. A short commute to the Loop preferable. Budget to 700K.

Asked by Van Woerkom, Novato, CA Thu Jul 18, 2013

Answers

18
Erik Sachs’ answer
Van-

Check out these great articles in Crain's Chicago Business:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130511/ISSUE01/130509751

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130615/ISSUE01/1306…

Where you work downtown is a factor in your search? I have knowledge of many different areas in the city as well as the suburbs. After a short conversation, I can provide an opinion that may help you narrow your search in a very wide Metro area.

I have included my contact info below if you are interested in speaking. Best of luck with your search regardless.

Erik Sachs
RpV Realty and Development
Cell 773/368-5515
Email esachs@rpvinc.com
Hi van,

As you can see, there are many great areas to live in. You might even want to live in Chicago proper. Depends on you children and if the can get into the gifted program schools in Chicago since they are some of the best in the state and even the country.

I can help you determine what are the best locations for you.

Interview a couple of realtors and see who you seem to click with, there are many good ones but you need to be in sync with them.

Call me if you would like.

Jeffrey Olichwier
Managing broker
Patrick Jeffrey Realty
Chicago Illinois
312-375-9653
Thanks for the reply. We would love to live downtown! I've briefly looked into the Whitney Young Magnet School which I think my Jr High and HS aged children could get into, but they don't accept students mid year. Do you know of any programs that will accept students after the school year has started? Are there magnet /G & T schools for elementary schools as well? Thanks!
Flag Sat Jul 20, 2013
Dear Van,

Interview a couple of buyers brokers that are familiar with the suburban market. When you find the right broker you will know and move forward with that broker.

Best of luck
Hi Van - Take a look at this property: http://bit.ly/17M8YER
Van,

There are so many great areas and you have a good budget to work with. Do you have any ideas of neighborhoods or would you like me to give you a run down on each neighborhood and city of suburbs surrounding chicago?

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Founder and Team Leader

Innovative Property Consultants Group | Sales and Leasing

http://www.innovativepropertyconsultants.com

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

"Extraordinary Service For Extraordinary Lives"
The commute from Naperville to the Chicago Loop on an express train is 33 minutes. There are pace buses that will take you to and from the station. You will be in good company because thousands of people commute from Naperville Downtown everyday. For many years transferees to Chicago have chosen Naperville as their community of choice. A quick look online at the community will show you many reasons why this has been so. Naperville not only has great schools but also an award winning Library and park district as well. Naperville is both kid and adult friendly offering you as little or as much involvement as you like. There are many choices in housing at your price point. Look at the available inventory in Naperville and compare those options to available housing in other areas at the same price point. Naperville as always offered more home and greater amenities than other areas in the Chicago Metro area. From communites built on golf courses to those built on air strips, on big lots or small, in the downtown area or on the river, there is something for everyone. Check your best option first. Broker of 26 years and Accredited Buyer's Representative..Judi Longmire Prouding affiliated with RE/MAX of Naperville 630-240-5558
Thanks for the tip!
Flag Thu Jul 18, 2013
Best place to start is to hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent to represent you. EBAs represent home buyers only, and work to get you the best price and most favorable terms. You can go to NAEBA.org for a referral to an EBA in your area.

I'm an EBA and I wrote a book called "Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You". It will be the best $6 you've ever spent. Follow the link below.

Best of luck!
I would get a good buyers agent. Its free to use their services. Interview two or three and go with the one you mesh best with.
You will get an amazing home, great schools, less congestion, great park district, and a pretty short commute from the Roselle and Schaumburg train stations.
I think Evanston and wilmette are good place to move.

Jack Lewitz
708-309-5334
Il real estate specialist
Plenty of great options exist within 30 minutes of the Loop.

Get yourself pre approved, work with a Realtor and focus in an areas that have all or most of what is on your wish list.

Should you need any assistance, feel free to contact me.

Bill J Deligiannis
A good agent in the north suburbs can handle your needs. I offer my services to help you through all the steps of of acquiring a home.
Joe Hedrick,CRS
847-212-5336
Short means what...great will cost you sq feet..what are your kids current gpa..700 puts you in lagrange in reasinable size house or elmhurst
Under 30 min commute would be ideal. 4.0 gpa for 11th grader and 7th grader. Other child is in 2nd grade (GT program). 3500 sq ft ideal. 4 bed 3 bath. Thanks fir the reply!
Flag Thu Jul 18, 2013
Hi Van,

Definitely consider Evanston and the North Shore suburbs (Kenilworth, Winetka, Wilmette).

I show 85 possibilities along the north shore within your price point. Without knowing your actual bedroom count needs, the results are based on homes starting with a minimum of 3 bedrooms, 2 baths.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

My name is Leonard Pollard, and I am the person that is going to help you accomplish your mortgage needs. You just recently made a mortgage inquiry and that is why I am writing to you now. When dealing with potential borrowers over the internet, I typically introduce myself first via email. I will try to call you within 24 hours unless you prefer a different time or place for me to contact you.

I must tell you that I do not work with all potential borrowers just as they do not work with me. I am straight forward and to the point. In addition to that, I treat every borrower with the same level of service that I expect for myself when making important financial decisions. I use my 13 years of experience in the mortgage industry to provide the best products available for my borrowers and their specific needs.

I would like the opportunity to have a brief conversation with you to discuss your expectations. If you feel that you would like to talk sooner, do not hesitate to call or reply at any time. I have attached an application for your convenience as well.

Our mission, at Quality Mortgage Lending, is to secure the best mortgage available for our clients. We will work diligently to find you the best possible terms, helping you achieve your financial goals in a friendly and professional manner. Our clients truly do come first and will be treated with the utmost respect and forthrightness. You will notice the difference from the initial consultation. Call today and ask how Quality Mortgage Lending can help you.
Glenview, Highland Park, Wilmette, Winnetka are the Chicago suburbs that you might want to consider. Check out http://www.greatschools.org and they do have great school districts. You can use the Metra train for your commute. Feel free to contact me if you need further assistance.
Sounds like you might be talking about the North Shore... Evanston is the first suburb north of the city, along the lakefront... and the $700,000 budget should work very nicely here.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL