Margaret Wil…, Home Buyer in Monmouth County, NJ

Interested in moving to a "beach town" within the next year. Considering Avon, Bradley, Belmar. Any thoughts? Price around 500,000

Asked by Margaret Williams, Monmouth County, NJ Tue Oct 26, 2010

Answers

19
In my opinion lots of beach areas are lovely. Contact a qualified agent in the area you are looking in.
Hi Margaret,
How's everything going? I could send you over some listings for you to take a look at. Also, could set you up on an automated search so you get more as they come on the market. Anyone of those towns are good for value. It depends on what type of situation you are seeking. Belmar is more younger kids, and get's pretty crazy in the summer. Bradley Beach is closer to Asbury Park and less valuable. Avon is family oriented and has great value. Have a great weekend.

Peter G. Apicella
Realtor Associate
Prudential Zack Shore Properties
520 Washington Blvd.
Sea Girt, NJ 08750
732-915-2773
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 27, 2012
Great response! You seem like a qualified agent in this area. Keep blogging.
Flag Sun Feb 24, 2013
319 12th Belmar NJ
411 12th Belmar NJ
Hi Margaret. This question just popped up again. I am intrigued as to whether you did buy in a beach town following this inquiry from 2010. If you did buy I hope your home was ok following the storms.
If you did not buy and are still interested there is a lot that is going to happen in the next year or so.

If you would like to discuss this further contact me.

908 334 8252

val gabela
http://BeautifulShoreHomes.com
Dear Margaret,
Wondering if you ever joined us here at the beach? Some properties in the towns mentioned in the responses were affected by superstorm Sandy. However there are many, many properties which are untouched. It's a great time to buy in terms of prices and mortgage rates. My business partner and I work in offices in Ocean Grove and Avon and are tuned in to the Avon, Bradley and Belmar. Let us know if we can assist.
Kind regards,
Lorraine Koleda
Robert Koleda
Jack Green Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
I have a great Real estate agent he grew up in that area and has lived in most of those towns while growing up he KNOWS A LOT about those areas
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 1, 2012
Hello Margaret Williams

I was scanning some old Q & A's and found this one. I was wondering if you every moved to the beach?
I know you posted this about 1 1/2 years ago and prices were still coming down. If you did not do anything you might be in good shape. Prices are still lower than they have been in years.
I can help you if you still want to make the move.

Call or email anythime

Val Gabela
vgabela@dianeturton.com
BeautifulShoreHomes.com
Hi, Margaret -
I recently joined the Trulia site. It is a great resource. I am a NJ lic. home inspector of 18 yrs. I found your post and, if you haven't already purchased, maybe I can lend some insight. I live in Avon, which is where Bob's office is, who also posted here. Generally, homes seem to run according to distance from the beach front, then size, then age. So, as someone said, you can get a condo with a nice view for your price. Single families generally are at the 5th or 6th block in Avon.
Avon is very family oriented. Bradley does have many rentals, but is more like Avon on the front and south sides. Belmar beach front has some condos, while there are some cottages and singles families 3 or more blocks up. Good luck.

JPSerino
Hi Margaret,
Avon will be difficult at your price point. You will be much further from the beach and in a smaller house that will need work or will not be in such a nice location.
Bradley Beach is nicest on the south side, but the prices are higher there. Depending on your needs and the type of neighborhood, at your price, this may be your best bet. However, if you are willing to speculate, you can also try to find a nice home on the North side of town.
Many of the properties listed as single families will also have a rental in back or be a multi-family home. If you will be using it, too, you might want one with a rear cottage. The key is you have to be sure it is a legal rental. Depending on the size, you can expect to receive anywhere from 8-12K for a 1-2 bedroom rental.
Belmar's North end is the desired location in that town. Again, higher prices, but nice neighborhood. Similar rental situation. And, if you have a nice rental, you should not have any problem getting it rented. Plus if you rent the front and rear, you can really make out well!
It seems to me that you would be able to find something in that pricepoint that would work for you--especially since you don't mind something that needs work. The real question for you is how important is neighborhood. A nice home is a good neighborhood will mean you will be a bit further from the beach. If location is not as important to you, you'll be able to get closer. Feel free to reach out to me via Trulia or my website if you'd like a few suggestions to get an idea of what the values are in the different neighborhoods.
Good luck! It's a great place to vacation and an evern better place to live. (By the way, you might want to add Manasquan to your list, too!)
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
Margaret -- E-mail me at johnskronski@remax.net and I'll send you those available with that criteria. Send me your contact phone number or call me at 732-870-6300 ext. 215 Thanks -- John
Hi, Thanks for your responses. Ideally, I would like to be within walking distance to beach. Single family home, it could need work, hopefully 3 bedrooms. I have seen on the internet some properties with rental units. If I had rental money could go up in price. Would this be within my reach?
Margaret,

Proximity to beach is a primary factor in most beach towns . . . the closer to the beach, the higher the price. Therefore, in the price range you specifiy Avon properties would be closer to main street than to the beach. Anything closer to the beach would be a condo.

In Bradley beach, $500k would net approximately the 500 block (5 blocks to beach) and Belmar provides more options that are closer to the beach. Again, condos are more available closer to the beach.

Frankly, I would first determine 5 items of priority regarding a purchase (i.e., proximity to beach, # of BRs, distance to family and job, etc.). From that point, u can determine which town best fits your needs.

The towns you mention are all great locations with plenty of activies. I might also recommend the Long Branch, Sea Bright area, especially if you are from "up North" and staying close to family or job is a priority.

Feel free to all or email if you have any further questions.

Francesca Patrizio, Broker, ePro, SRES
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
732.606.2931 (Direct 24/7)
Web Reference: http://www.PatrizioRE.com
Hi Margaret,

3 great beach towns! You will have more choices in Bradley Beach and Belmar, possibly smaller homes or condos, but there are some good possibilities in Avon also. I will be happy to stay in touch with you by phone, text or email and let you know good values as they come on the market. I live in Avon and can assist you with your search as to the best purchase for your needs. Feel free to email me at nrose@dianeturton.com or by cell at 908-309-9405. Good luck with your search!
Hi Margaret, I lived in Bradley Beach for a few years and love the family-feel of the town. The boardwalk is nicely done with the Pavillion and live music in the summer. Belmar is more of a party town so what exactly are you looking for? As far as Avon, it can be a bit more pricey than the other two towns but we might get lucky if we grab a bank-owned property the day it goes on the market. Please give me a call or email me and we can discuss this some more. Thanks. Annette
There are plenty of beach town properties in that price range and if your interested in taking a look at some feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email, and I would be more than happy to show you whats out there!
Hi Margaret,
I have a beautiful Ocean View 2 story condo available in Bradley Beach.(Beach Plaza) New Kitchen , appliances etc. 2 Bedroom , 2 full bath , parking under with storage.
Craig Flormann
Century 21 Action Plus Realty
732-778-0908
Margaret,
Hi! The towns you are considering are all wonderful areas. Perhaps Spring Lake or even Manasquan, which are great "beach towns" as well. The price you will pay for a property in any of these towns will greatly depend on the type of home and amenities that you are looking for ( 2,3,or 4 bedrooms,condo, single family, ranch, colonial, etc.).
It would be my pleasure to further assist you with your home purchase when you are ready. Please feel free to contact me directly or visit my website where you can search for homes in Monmouth and Ocean County.

Best Regards Always,

Francine Einhorn/Realtor Associate
Better Homes Realty
Freehold Office
feinhorn@betterhomesus.com
Dear Margaret,
I think your best course of action is to determine what you are looking for...number of bedrooms, baths...a condo, a single family home. Perhaps you've already done that. If so, spend some time looking at what's available on one of the real estate agregator websites...like Realtor.com.
Then speak with a realtor. Describe what you want. Perhaps what you're looking for is available in your price range, perhaps not. A good realtor will know.
Then you might want to meet with a realtor to get a feel for the market...see what's out there.
Any of the agents at Avon Realty can help you with your search. We're all very familiar with the communities you express anb interest in.
Margaret ---- Great beach towns. Are you looking at condos or single-family homes? Obviously, closer to the beach, higher the asking price. I can help you sort through everything and how this area is doing these days. -- John