R, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Interested in 1 br or Jr 4 around 71st express area. Is it better at the north of Queens Blvd or south, pre-war or post war? for live and investment..

Asked by R, New York, NY Wed Aug 25, 2010

And how bad is noise for those buildings next to the Lrr? Your advises are much appreciated!

Answers

5
Are you familiar with the Forest Hills area? Your question seems to indicate that you are not. First, Coops are not investment vehicles. Coop boards may restict your ability to rent and many charge a precentage of the yearly rent to allow you to do so. The application process is also prohibitive and expensive.

Forest Hills has many pre-war buildings and keep in mind post-war refers to any building built after 1947. That said, most buildings in FH have some age to them. You would think that there might be a new designation for newer buildings since we are in a new millenium, but no.

If you're thinking Condo, they are great investment vehicles but they will outprice a similarly sized Coop by more than $100K. There are also very few Condos in Forest Hills.

What you're left with here is the North or South side on QB. The best way to gauge which would be better for you would be to get out there, walk the streets and get a feel for the area. After that, you can make an informed decision. Be aware that prices will spike upward in proximity to the 71st/Continental Ave Express stop. Good luck.
If you're serious about purchasing - whatever location you want - if you're not already working with a buyer's agent, please feel free to contact me. I work with buyers as their representative instead of working for the seller.

Ralph Windschuh
Certified Buyer Representative
Senior Real Estate Specialist
Associate Broker
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009
rwindschuh@c21princetonproperties.com
In The Top 2% of Century 21 Agents Nationwide!
R, your price range might be a better way to figure out where you would like to be. As far as next to the LIRR, every time I am on a train and pass those buildings, I wonder how the tennants can take it. I wouldn't recommend it because the buildings are older, and I can't believe that you wouldn't hear the noise. Because that line is between the city and Jamaica, I am sure that the number of trains going by both day and night would be more than you would want to hear.
As far as north or south of Queens Blvd., I think it's really east or west, and I don't think it makes that much difference, although obviously there are more buildings that are closer to the rr when you are west of Queens Blvd.
East of Queens Blvd. there are plenty of building on 108th Street or Yellowstone, and they are in all kinds of price ranges, depending on ammenities. If you want to try to figure out what price range you need to stay in, feel free to contact me and I will pre-qualify you.
The best way is to go and look at some with an agent that kowns the area. My office has a few you might be intersted in.
Fajardo Delacruz
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Century Homes Realty Group llc
Direct Line: 347-932-0609
As to what side of the Blvd, building, etc-- much will depend on personal preferences--keep in mind that real estate professionals are prohibited from “steering”—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods/areas, etc.