Drillsgt, Home Buyer in Reno, NV

Inspection report revealed

Asked by Drillsgt, Reno, NV Tue Jun 5, 2012

Would you still buy a home that have signs of wet and damp crawlspace throughout the foundation and waterlines indicating of water standing there at times of up to 1 inch.

Answers

12
Diane Glander’s answer
Sure. There are plenty of good waterproofing companies around.
Find out the source of the water if you can. You can start by seeing if the house is in a flood zone. It might be something as simple as regrading the property or if the house is in the direct waterway of a water source, it might take a bit more work and money to fix.
But, if you love the house, go for it!
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
Drillsgt, sounds like a plan! Good luck
The house is not in a flood zone. My realtor forwarded the inspection report to a general contractor for estimates. I will have to wait and see if the seller is willing to make repairs. Vapor barrier, sump pump, gutter system and the list goes on. I know its fixable issues but I think I will resume my house hunting by next week. Thank you for the responses.
If there was water there is a reason. If it is in a flood zone you can't change that, but that should reflected in a lower price for the home. In most other cases water problems can be fixed. Often it is as simple as channeling the water away from the foundation through extensions on the downspouts and/or regrading. If you can determine the cause and the remedy, the home could still be a good buy should you really like it.
Inspector should be more specific. There are times when extending the leaders or Siliconing the gutters or grould pitch is the cause or root of the problem. Flood Zone is something you can check with the Town or possibly your Reator® can find that out. If it was in a Flood Zone the Bank would require you to have Flood Insurance and that should be disclosed, at least where I do business.
I probably wouldn't. Is it in a flood zone?
Check your contract and speak to your attorney. I've had similar situations where some of the repairs were made. Other situations where the seller gave a concession at closing, and still others where the seller refused to do anything.

Each home sale is different, and it's best to talk to your agent and your attorney to explore options that are available.
I'd find out when the water was there, and the reasons. We've had a lot of rain and it's been humid, perhaps that's way its damp. Most important what does your home inspector say and what's reported in the seller's disclosure.
How much does this cost to repair ? I would like for the seller to fix this issue but if its too expensive, they might not consider fixing it.
it depends on how much you love the house and how much this would cost to repair.
Do you love the house otherwise?

There are ways to correct water in a crawlspace.
Remember, it is not living space.

It does need to be asddressed, to assure a mold situation does not result.
Yes if I wanted the house bad enough, Id take it any condition.