Home Buying in Washington>Question Details

Laurie, Home Buyer in 01568

Info on recommended areas 1 hr from Raleigh?

Asked by Laurie, 01568 Sat Feb 9, 2013

My husband and I are flying into Raleigh next week to do some initial househunting. We'd like to look at neighborhoods within 1 hr drive to Raleigh. We'd like to be near water and near a town that has dining options and some theater or art shops. Any suggestions where we should look?

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/1081933068-75-E-River-Acres-R…

Answers

4
If you're thinking water as in the ocean, you're not going to find this within an hour.. If you're looking for access to the arts, cool restaurants etc you' could look in Raleigh, Chapel Hill or Durham. There are lakes in these areas though most are water sources for the surrounding cities/town and you're limited to how close you can build on them.

You're request is so general in nature that it's really difficult to know how to best advise you. If you'd like to give me a call, (you can contact me through my profile here on Trulia) I'd be happy to speak with you and once I have a better idea of what you're specific needs are could then offer you some suggestions on areas to consider.
Depending on the type of water you would like to be around (lake vs. rivers, sounds & coastal areas) you do have options. If you are looking to be near a coastal river or sound, those will be much further than an hour, however there are many lakes within an hour of Raleigh that will fit the bill. Although I do not generally cover the lakes near Raleigh, I would recommend searching areas such as Jordan Lake, Falls Lake, Kerr Lake and Lake Gaston for starters. If you should decide to expand your search further to the coastal rivers and sounds, I cover many of the towns and cities along them and would be happy to assist in your search. Feel free to visit our website at http://www.waterfrontnc.com.
Greenville, NC is about an hour and 15 minutes from Raleigh. Greenville offers great restaurants, some theater, well known University (ECU), incredible hospital (teaching hospital) and only 20 minutes from Washington NC that is on the Pamlico River. The Pamlico River leads to the ICW (Intercostal Waterway). If you go to http://www.washingtonnchomes.com you can look at all homes available in the Pitt/Greenville area as well as Washington/Beaufort area.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need additional information.

Mary Lou
Laurie, I'm not sure you'll be able to be on the water within an hour of Raleigh. I think you're looking at a minimum of 2 hours. If you're willing to do that I would recommend New Bern or Washington. There are more waterfront options in New Bern and bigger water but Washington is also charming. If you'd like some help with a tour I'd love to show you and your husband around. My husband and I work as a team and work in both areas as well as other coastal areas. Please give me a call at 252.229.7534 or email me directly at nancy.innerbanks@gmail.com.