Home Buying in Seven Hills>Question Details

Andrea, Home Owner in San Ramon, CA

In your opinion which is better for a masterplanned community feel for the money? Seven Hills, MacDonald Ranch or Anthem?

Asked by Andrea, San Ramon, CA Tue Feb 11, 2014

We're in the market to buy and these are three neighborhoods where we've focused. We moved here last year and decided to rent until we knew this area better. Our price range is from $350-500K. In this range, there are nice track homes but few custom or semi-custom. We've decided on Anthem since up around Anthem Parkway there are no apartment complexes close. Seven Hills is an area where real estate investment trusts bought up a lion's share of properties in 2012-2013 and at this time there are many more rentals available than homes for sale. This quarter, home sales declined a lot from last year after investors turned away from this market and because prices do not reflect the underlying economy with unemployment and real wages. Overall, home prices are inflated and even though inventory is lower than it should be, it's a good time to wait and watch the market.
I used to live in Summerlin about 13 years ago and since my kids are in very good schools here the one public school that is strong is Coronado in Henderson. I'm only looking for homes in that assigned area so thank you for letting me know about Seven Hills. Do not want to be near rentals.
Flag Thu Feb 20, 2014
Hi Ab,

I personally like the Anthem area due to the high value retention through the Real Estate "bubble" of the past 8 years. The last amount I'd worry about is HOA dues or Master Planned Community dues. In retrospect to your purchase price, isn't this number a last consideration when looking for a home?

I don't mean to trivialize the cost of HOA dues or SID/LID costs yearly, but it really should be a focus on what your home's long term value proposition will be. In discussing your purchase, I would assess the rental market, the percentage of owner occupants in the neighborhood, and the quality of community assets (schools, fire department/police department availability in the area, proximity to hospitals, and quality of road ways/traffic congestion). It's 100% worth your time to work with a Realtor who knows the area and I happen to not only live in Anthem but I'm also on the board for our HOA.

i'd be happy to answer your questions and help out. We like strong residents in our community because that's the bedrock of our sustained value today and future gains in value.

Andrew Dionne
~ Real Estate Concierge ~
(702) 979-3315

Barrett & Co., Inc
2885 S Jones Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89146
All three master planned communities you mentioned are wonderful, but there are many other neighborhood options as well. Factors such as budget, association fees, preference of neighborhood, gated community, school zoning, proximity to community amenities can help navigate to "your preference" and one that yields a high return on investment. Please let me know if I may be of some assistance as I am a Henderson Professional. Please visit the link below to assist in finding your dream home.

Chad Roberts
Realty One Group
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 23, 2014
Good Morning....I have been working in real estate fulltime for 22 years and own a home in Sun City Mcdonald Ranch for 8 years. I love the fact the homeowners dues are only $50.00 a month. Paid annually $600! And include much,24 hour roaming patrol, golf, nice clubhouse with exercise, computer room, etc. I chose this development as it is closer to library, parks, Whole foods, Green Valley Casino & 215 freeway. So much closer than 7 hills or Anthem Sun City. Also Anthem is approx. $92.00 per month for facilities. If you would like to view any or all listings in any of these communities, please give me a call, or e-mail. I would be happy to send you floor plans, maps, and all other you might be interested in. Thank you.
Regina Agee / Horizon Realty Group/ NV Realtor / 702-606-8189
Also a California Independent RE Broker #01146994. Working fulltime since 1992!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 12, 2014
Good Morning,

The few communities you mentioned are all in the same area of town. Seven Hills is a bit pricey but very nice homes. Anthem has some great choices and reasonably priced. MacDonald Ranch is also a nice community, it just depends if you are talking about MacDonald Highlands or the typical MacDonald Ranch community. I would suggest that Anthem might have the best prices for the size homes. I would be happy to set up a search in these areas to show you the difference in homes and prices. Please email me your direct contact info and I'll get an email sent out to you right away.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Len McGuirk, Realtor
Prudential Americana Group
Direct: (702) 203-6688
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 12, 2014
All three communities are excellent - it is purely a matter of preference. Once you see the communities for yourself, I'm sure that you'll have an opinion about which is right for you. I work with a lot of buyers who are relocating or purchasing from out of state, and I would be happy to tour these communities with you so you can get a feel for how they differ.

Angela Brasser, ABR, CRS
Prominent Realty Group, LLC

(702) 460-2515
Great choice Faith!

I'd love to show you more about the Anthem area and share the insider information I provide to all my clients. The management company is the same for our HOA in Madeira Canyon and the master plan of Anthem so I'm able to get an immediate response with all the going ons here. Just one more benefit of being an engaged Realtor and an HOA board member with a like minded board who wants to protect our neighborhood value and be kind to our neighbors!

(702) 979-3315

~ Real Estate Concierge ~
Hi Andrea,
All of these areas are considered to be "upscale" neighborhoods here in Henderson. They all offer both gated communities and guard gated communities together with neighborhoods that are not gated. I have lived in both Seven Hills and Anthem and enjoyed living in both. I have also handled many transactions in all of these communities, which are located next to each other. I noticed that you are located in San Ramon, which I know quite well as I have friends and past clients who currently live there. The communities that you are interested in are very similar in many ways to where you live right now. Please fell free to contact me as I would be very happy to give you more detailed information on all of these communities and what might work for you depending on your personal criteria. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Susan Frush-Feller, SFR, CDPE
Realty One Group
2831 Saint Rose Parkway #100
Henderson, NV 89052
Phone: (702) 321-0131
Email: sffeller1@gmail.com
Website: http://sffeller.las.mlxchange.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/susanfrushfellerrealtor
Hello Ab,
The glory of asking for an opinion is that everyone seems to have one. That also can be the downfall. Since my colleagues have already offered their opinions & some background on each community, I'd offer advice. When making such an enormous purchase & investment such as a home, it really always comes down to what you, as the buyer, wants. What's important to you? What are your must-haves or what do YOU expect your future master planned community to offer? Then, with the help of a professional to inform and guide you in your purchase (we're not supposed to be here to convince or sway you...but work FOR you), you can choose the community that best fits your needs. My best advice would be to contact one of the many professionals who were happy to offer their opinion to you below (or I'm available as well), go over your specifics, & get someone working for you. I'd be happy to start a preliminary search for you in each area so you can get a better feel of what each community offers. Then, when you're ready to preview, we've already done some narrowing down. Good luck in your search.
All three areas are next to each other in Henderson, along with Green Valley Ranch. Each has it own special points. To answer your question properly, I would need to know more about you and what you are looking for. . Mc Donald Ranch is 55+ only community and probably the least cost per foot of the 3 communities. Our team specializes in and is the leading realtor in all 3 areas. Please call me and lets talk 702-994-4849
They are all very lovely communities. It really depends on what your budget is going to be. There are very reasonably priced sections of all 3 communities and very expensively priced sections of all 3 as well. It also depends on what other perks you are looking for in your community. The homes in the Anthem Country Club and Sun City Anthem have clubhouses, swimming pools, golf and other activities to do in the same community where you live. Anthem Highlands has no amenities. The Club in Anthem has the amenities. Sun City MacDonald Ranch has amenities. The gated section of MacDonald ranch has a country club you can join.

Here is my suggestion: make a list of what is important to you with your community. Then choose a realtor to work with and view homes in each area. Once you drive the communities, you will see which one you like slightly more than the other. All 3 are great communities. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Personally, I prefer Anthem, though all three are great and you can't go wrong with any of them. (I also have lived in Anthem almost 14 years too, so I may be a bit biased!) It ranges higher up on the mountain and has a more quiet, high desert feel. Which is funny, since it is actually quite a bit larger than Seven Hills or MacDonald Highlands.

That's my 2 cents, though this is really a matter of taste. MacDonald Highlands has the best freeway access and is closer to more amenities, and Seven Hills has all those lovely pocket parks scattered through it. Hope that helps!

Diann Tonnesen