Home Buying in Encinitas>Question Details

Bill Hays, Real Estate Pro in Cardiff, AL

In what ways are agents too aggressive in their effort to pursue prospective clients?

Asked by Bill Hays, Cardiff, AL Mon Oct 18, 2010

Answers

8
If there is any element of "aggressive" in an agents prospecting activities, I'd say it is too much. Prospecting takes many forms but one thing runs consistent throughout them all when you prospect ideally, which is to say with integrity. Integrity means no holes - solid, firm. You are who you proclaim to be. Your value proposition is in fact a real value. Your services are intended to serve, before all else. If you follow up with a potential prospect 5 or 10 times because you truly believe the service you have to offer will benefit them, and you make those contact attempts as thoughtful and as conscientious as you would following up with your potential new in-laws, than your question itself becomes negated.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 18, 2010
By spamming them on Trulia voices?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
Sidney,

I also agree with what you said. Keeping in contact with clients and being aggressive in that manner is not only smart, but necessary. But when referring to prospective clients there is a fine line between "pursing" these people and merely providing them information they may need, which can open the door to further conversations. I think some agents may tend to be too aggressive in the sense that they do not leave the prospective customer alone, which can have the opposite result of what was intended! As you said, an agent needs to know when to back off.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 9, 2010
Agents should be aggressive with their clients.
I have found out if I do not keep in good contact with my clients they WILL go on to the next agent.
It's when the client has made it clear through actions or words that they are no longer interested that you should back off. Even then make a follow up call in 30 days,you may reconnect and make a sale!
Web Reference: http://www.aShortSale.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 9, 2010
I agree with Chris, below. Integrity is HUGE in any business. Personally I think we all should ask ourselves whether we would like being on the receiving end of the behavior, and act accordingly. Referring to potential clients as "leads" perhaps is the first mistake. Clients are golden, and our role is to educate and guide them through the purchase or sales process. This can be a lengthy process and aggressive tactics should never be part of it. Sometimes there is no paycheck at the end; instead, our payback is that we remained honest and ethical, and that we truly helped someone. I would take that any day over a situation where I get paid and have a customer who felt pressured and dissatisfied with my services. I know that down the road should the client have real estate needs s/he will call on me because of the service I provided, and that makes me feel good about what I do. Those who are in a people business for the money should find another job.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 9, 2010
By bashing fellow agents in their blogs or in person during listing appointments

please see my blog that was written in a related subject to your question.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 18, 2010
I know some agents who get a lead and will relentlessly go after it with the "don't take no for an answer" approach. Do buyers and sellers like that aggressiveness?
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com