Home Buying in San Antonio>Question Details

Bernard M., Renter in San Antonio, TX

In this sea of realtors, how do I choose one? I am a first-time home buyer and I have no idea what to base my choice on.

Asked by Bernard M., San Antonio, TX Sun Jun 9, 2013

Answers

17
I do like that phrase, "Sea of Realtors(r)".
And wave after endless wave of smiley faces emerge from the sea all saying, "Choose me!"
-
Of course the interview 2 or 20 agents is a bunch of non-sense when the interview script is not provided and WHO HAS THAT KIND OF TIME TO BURN!
-
Of course you can review google or trulia, as I'm sure your realize, is gamed to favor those who PAY FOR PROMINANCE!
-
So, what can you do?
Here are 3 decisive things you can do.
1, Read what professionals in your area are writing here on Trulia. If it's a bunch of real estate plablum, don't expect your experience to be different. It a frustrating to get non-answers to your question or the ever preaent...."Call an attorney!"
-
2. Attend several Open Houses in our area. If the agent meeting you simpy says 'Look around" and exhibits no skills in assessing your urgency or qualification, don't expect a different result when they are representing you. If the agent extolls the tangible assest of the home, the intangible qualities of the home AND inquires how you are going about you home search, you should linger longer. This is the representation that will most likely place your goals and needs on the top of the agenda.
-
3. Ask those you respect to introduce you to their real estate professional. Why? This imposes upon the professional to be forever vigilant in providing to every client OUTSTANDING service and INTEGRITY. These understand it is NEVER A ONE TIME EVENT. This is the heartbeat of the real estate business, to insure every client is comfortable introducing those who need help to them.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence. Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, Fl
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 10, 2013
I would look at 4 specific criteria:

1. Experience
2. Knowledge of the Area Your Thinking About Purchasing In
3. Personality - there will be a lot of interaction so you have to feel comfortable with who you choose
a. Recommend interviewing at least 3-4 Realtors
4. Availability - there are a lot of part time Realtors out there - this is not necessarily a bad thing
but you need someone who can respresent you during the time YOU have available
not when they are available.

Thanks for allowing me to provide my thoughts!

Royce Simmonds, Broker-Owner
Simmonds Real Estate Inc.
35 Year Air Force Veteran (15 Enlisted/20 Officer)

Visit: http://www.roycerealestate.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 9, 2013
Hi,Bmoss I love my home thanks to George Nasr he is the Best!!!!!!!
and i do know how you feel.
GEORGE NASR REALTOR
210-632-3933 call him.

THE BEST TO YOU !!!!!!
jonna
San Antonio texas usa
Look for certifications. At a minimum the GRI and ABR. A lack of certs is a sure sign of a lazy mind, and someone who has plateaued in their career. Call the broker and get a list of the top 20 agents for productivity. We've all heard the old adage, "10% of the work force does 90% of the work". Stay away from part time Realtors as well. You cannot do this job on a part time basis!

Chuck Berry
Coldwell Banker, D'Ann Harper REALTORS
210-683-1157
Many agents are listed on the Trulia website, Refer to an agent's profile page, you will be able to read a bio on a agent and also read recommendations from this agents previous clients.

Consider tenure in the business and industry education. Give yourself time to visit (talk - not just email) with a few agents; trust and compatibility are emotions that are sometimes better found through conversation.

REALTORS are bound and committed by a code of ethics, ask for a REALTOR.

Sue
It is a lot simpler than it has been made out to be on here. The best way to choose is a referral. Talk to your family, friends, co-workers, etc. who have purchased in the past and ask them how their process was. Did they like their Agent, if not what was the issue from their perspective. You will get plenty of good information this way, on top of getting a couple good Agent referrals who match most of your needs and the recommendations will be from people who you know and trust. Good luck!
I suggest that you conduct some telephone interviews, and based on that meet with two to three Realtors in person.

Some of the preliminary questions that you may want to consider asking include:
• Are you a licensed Broker or a salesperson working under a Broker?
• How long have you worked in real estate?
• How many hours and days do you work per week?
• Do you have any paid job outside real estate?
• Do you work nights and weekends, as required?
• Do you have any vacations planned in the near future?
• Can you provide independent verification of any claims of performance?

I offer a unique scheduling system for buyers, which enables them to select the days and times that suit them best to view homes, rather than contacting a Realtor often to be told that they can’t see homes when it works best for them. It’s called the Concierge Showing Service, and the web address is:
http://www.ConciergeShowingService.com

Leah McNamara AHWD BPOR CRS GRI
Licensed Real Estate Broker
Best Practices Realty
Call or Text: (210) 379-2799
email: Leah@BPR.co
Web: http://www.BPR.co for the best map based 'Lifestyle' home search
Suggestions:
1. Google some real estate companies in the area you are looking to move. Look at the agent profiles and information about the company. Chose at least three agents that you feel could relate to you and your situation.

2. Interview the agents. You will get to see how they work and explain things to you. Which one makes you most comfortable? Which ones seems to know what they are talking about? Which one is just a little bit too aggressive? Every buyer needs someone they are comfortable with and knows the process and market. Some like agents who push a little bit because it generally means they will be good negotiators when it comes to making the offer and any counteroffers. Knowing that the agent can walk you through the home buying process with ease and will fight on your behalf are essential.

3. Look for agents that enjoy working with buyers, particularly first-time buyers. An agent with an Accredited Buyers Representative (ABR designation) has taken additional training to be able to work with buyers. Additionally, you may want to also consider an agent who is a Certified Residential Specialist (CRS designation) because they specialize in residential properties.
I am in business since 1976. I know how to help you best. Let;s talk and you will find out.
Thanks!
Trust. No matter what, you need to know that your agent is working with your best interests in mind. The vast majority of agents will do this, but you need to know it and feel it. So, like others, I'd suggest calling several agents that seem to fit your needs and choose the one that "clicks". You'll know it when you speak to him/her.
Great question, there are definitely a lot of us. Integrity, patience and communication are key.
I would love to be one of the agents you interview. A large part of my business is with first timers. I will
be there to answer questions along the way, even the ones you didn't know you had. Good luck.
I look forward to hearing from you. Good luck.

Trina Cannon
Century 21 Northside
210.446.6460
http://www.TrinaCannonRealtor.com
Honestly, what it will all boil down to is this..... You want to find an agent that will not be pushy towards making a sale and always places your best interest first. I would set an appointment with multiple agent and pay attention to their track record. In regards to being a buyer especially a first time buyer I would target agents who specialize in representing first time home owners. Let me know
if there is anything I can do to help you perhaps I can help you track down a local agent that will place you first.

Real Estate Consultant
3xUS Army Veteran
Joseph Fernandez
Blog: blissfulestates84.blogspot.com
Email: blissfulestates84@gmail.com
I would also recommend that you choose a Realtor who is an Accredited Buyer Representative (ABR) since they are trained and experienced in working with buyers. And choose a Realtor who you can "relate" to and are comfortable with. It would also be helpful to make sure that Realtor is familiar with the particular area that you are wanting to purchase in.

Call or email me if you have any questions! Good Luck!
There are certainly quite a few of us...

I would be happy to be one of the Realtor's that you contact in the pursuit of finding the right one for you.

All the best in your home search!

Diana Tawil
The Horn Company Residential
210-409-0340
dianat@thehornco.com
It's not complicated:
Realtors are people too; (well, most are).
How do you choose a mechanic, or a barber?
The most important aspect is communication; how do they communicate with you.
Integrity is critical; surely you can size people up.

Don't worry about how many houses they have sold in the last six months; you might be better off with a Rookie who listens and cares.
Give me a call I help many first time buyers. Read my reviews I make the process stress free and enjoyable.

Best Regards

Johnny E Williams
210-858-7899
Johnny@sahomestx.com
Web Reference: http://www.sahomestx.con
I would call and talk to several and see who you feel comfortable with!

Have a good one!
GO SPURS GO!!!

Tabitha KIng
210-414-4255