Home Buying in Omaha>Question Details

Jc.gogo, Home Buyer in Omaha, NE

In the state of Nebraska when we buy a house, do we suppose to pay the taxes for the prior year of the house even if we buy it

Asked by Jc.gogo, Omaha, NE Tue Jun 4, 2013

Answers

4
You will pay taxes, which are pro-rated, beginning the day you close on the house. A competent Realtor can walk you through your closing costs which include, but are not limited to taxes. You can also access the County Assessor website in which the home is located. That may provide you with helpful tax information. One website is: http://www.dcassessor.org/faq-help

Feel free to call or email me for more information:

Lisa Andrews, Realtor
402-490-0995
lisa.andrews@cbshome.com

All the Best!
Thank you for your help.
Flag Tue Jun 4, 2013
KC.gogo,

No, you will only pay property taxes beginning the day of closing. The sellers will be responsible for the taxes prior to that date.

Kyle Schulze
Tabai & Schulze Team
NP Dodge Real Estate
402-699-2220
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 4, 2013
I appreciated your help, thank you so much.
Flag Tue Jun 4, 2013
How the proration of taxes is handled depends on what county the home is in. In Sarpy and Douglas counties taxes that are due in the year of closing are the basis for proration. In 2013 that would be 2012's taxes. In most other counties in the state the 2012 taxes would be paid by the seller and the 2013 taxes would be estimated and prorated. If you would like a more detailed explanation please contact me at nebbobl@hotmail.com and I will send you information.
No you are not responsible to pay the taxes when you haven't purchased the home yet. The sellers will pay taxes up until closing date. If taxes are not yet due, the amount due will be deducted from the seller's side and credited to your side on the hud settlement statement. Please call me if I could be of assistance in helping you find your new home.