Lisa, Home Buyer in West Allis, WI

In the process of buying a house. found out there is lien vs my husband from lawsuit in 04. Can I be only 1 on title,or is this both of our problm?

Asked by Lisa, West Allis, WI Sun Feb 12, 2012

Wisconsin, No collections on judgement was ever filed. If I am only one on title, can we not worry about them going after my property? We were married in 2008, so this was before our marriage. Have accepted offer pending - Title company found this issue, so need quick resolution if possible.

Answers

4
Michael Emery’s answer
A lien is what is placed on real property. What your husband has is a judgment. An attorney could tell you what the statute of limitations is for a judgment in Wisconsin. Depending on the law the judgment may or may not be collectible or transferable. But only an attorney licensed in WI could answer the question.
If you are the only one on the title then they shouldn't be able to put a lien on the property but you should talk to a real estate attorney because only they can tell you for sure.
We currently rent - do not own. That is why this popped up now - never owned property.
Lisa it depends if there is a lien on your current house or are you worried aboout the house you are buying, I would think if his name is on it they can can lien in no matter when it happened before or after marriage. you may want to ask an attorney in your state as laws differ from state to state to make sure.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com