Lisa, Home Buyer in West Allis, WI

In the process of buying a house. found out there is lien vs my husband from lawsuit in 04. Can I be only 1 on title,or is this both of our problm?

Asked by Lisa, West Allis, WI Sun Feb 12, 2012

Wisconsin, No collections on judgement was ever filed. If I am only one on title, can we not worry about them going after my property? We were married in 2008, so this was before our marriage. Have accepted offer pending - Title company found this issue, so need quick resolution if possible.

sorry, Liens are placed to FORCE your husband to pay his debt

If he is on the mortgage, he has to pay the lien
Great questions...would suggest that you talk with an attorney on this one. Not sure why this would come up on a title search for new property here in GA? Also, if you are not named and it was premarriage, that seems good for you. You can certainly be the only one on a title in GA...assuming that you qualify for a loan on your own, which I would recommend that you discuss this with whomever is doing your loan.

Bottom line - get this resolved now with professional advise from attorney and mortgage institution that you are using. Have all of the documentation/letters, etc. that you have on the issue when you consult the pros.

Rick Musto
Buckhead Home Realty