Home Buying in 34746>Question Details

Juan, Home Buyer in Kissimmee, FL

In order to get the homestead tax deduction ,if married must both person live in the house or can it be just one.

Asked by Juan, Kissimmee, FL Sun Jul 22, 2012

In order to get the homestead tax deduction,if married must both person live in house or can it be just one.

Help the community by answering this question:


Here is a link to the Homestead Rebate in the State of Florida. One of you can be a Primary resident.


If you are searching for a home, call me, there are lots of great buys out there! Lorraine 407-572-4040
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 24, 2012
You cannot claim two homes as homestead rebate. Please read the link sent to you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 3, 2013
Just one has to declare the property their primary residence. I've certainly run into people who try and scam the system by having one spouse claim their home in Florida as primary and the other claim a home in another as primary. if you are trying to go this route, do get good tax advice.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 3, 2013
No scam,still married, living apart,I alredy bought a house in Kissimmee.I got the homestead.You are one negative person
Flag Wed Jun 5, 2013
Normally when you are married both persons are living in the home but, you can have one of you be a primary resident. Because you are married you both should be able to receive the homestead rebate.
Read the link Lorraine has given you for details. If you have any other questions please let me know. If you would like help in locating a home please let me know.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 2, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer