Home Buying in San Jose>Question Details

Julie Clay, Renter in Pacifica, CA

In order to build a garage in my back/side yard the planning guy tells me it must be attached to the house. Can I use a short breezeway (4')?

Asked by Julie Clay, Pacifica, CA Sun Mar 17, 2013

or an archway to attach the garage to the house

Answers

7
Hi there,

Definitely get in contact with a Contractor with experience in Pacifica.
You may be able to get a free estimate.
As a Realtor, i would advise talking to the Permit department also for the City of Pacifica.
Again an experienced " licensed " Contractor who has good references will be able to advise.
That is his expertise. As long as it is Permitted, by the city, you will definitely bring up the value of your home!

Thank you for your Question

Diana Valverde-408-693-7463
CDPE
Davey and Associates Premier Real Estate
and Property Management
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 17, 2013
Being in the Custom Home / Remodeling business for the last 30 years in the Santa Clara Valley, you are only allowed to build what the city you live in allows.

I would talk to the City of Pacifica planning department again, and ask them to further clarify your questions for you.

It seems to me, and I have never worked in Pacifica, that a 4' breezeway would "connect" it to the house.

Another "rule" every city has is the "FAR", Floor Area Ratio.
You can only build a certain sized residential structure, based on the size of your property.

Like what was previously suggested, talk to the planning department of Pacifica.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 17, 2013
I agree with Charles, a contractor who has built similar structures in Pacifica can probably answer your questions and save you time & money when it's time to apply for a permit. Most city planners give you minimum guidance until they see your actual plans.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 17, 2013
Hello Julie,

You need to ask the planning Department this questions. They are the ones who can properly guide you as to what you can or cannot do.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 17, 2013
Hi Julie:

If the Planning Guy says its got to be attached to your home,
then sadly that is the requirement.

Good luck, look into getting a variance.

Perry
Web Reference: http://www.ruthandperry.com
If the "planning guy" is with the City of Pacifica Building Division and you can talk with him, ask him questions.

The City of Pacifica says they can be contacted via email.
see http://www.cityofpacifica.org/depts/planning/building_divisi…

If you include enough information they can probably give you a fairly quick no and tell you why. Getting a go ahead probably won't be as easy without pretty detailed plans.

The quickest way would be to make an appointment to go and talk to someone at the building division.

Almost surely a roof would have to extend to the garage for it to be considered attached. The breezeway or whatever it is called would be counted against the available enclosed space that can be built.

Juliana Lee
650-857-1000
Top 2 agent nationwide at Keller Williams Realty

Over 30 years experience
Over 1,000 homes sold in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties
.
Web Reference: http://julianalee.com
Thank you for your question, Julie:

That is governed by the rules of Pacifica.

I recommend that you hire a contractor who has a great deal of experience building in Pacifica.

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
America Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax:(408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872
.