Home Buying in 61604>Question Details

Circlingus, Home Buyer in Benson, AZ

In extending residential lease, how to word clause allowing me to put house on market to sell in the one year lease period.

Asked by Circlingus, Benson, AZ Fri Jul 6, 2012

Hate to lose the renter.

Help the community by answering this question:


That is a question for an attorney. Realtors are not allowed to practice law. Remember that in a conflict or ambiguity in contract language, the nonauthor usually prevails. And you need to check your state laws. One thing to keep in mind is that the lease needs to be for a specific period. I would also talk to your tenant and agree to everything. Every landlord wants to have no interruption in rental income, but the transition is difficult. The tenant has to be on board with showings, sign, lockbox, etc. and ensuring that the home looks in showing condition.

Tenant cooperation is the key - otherwise, the time and effort will be useless as other agents and prospective tenants will be turned off. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 7, 2012
You may want to consult an attorney on the legal language but you need to make sure the tenant is assued that their lease will protect them for a specified time period. If you do put it on the market it is important not to have a tenant who will work with you when trying to sell. A disgruntled tenant can make it very difficult to sell
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer