Home Buying in Hayward>Question Details

Tonyrab365, Home Buyer in Hayward, CA

In applying for a loan for a house do I include my roommates portion of rent money as income or how is it looked at in the application process.

Asked by Tonyrab365, Hayward, CA Wed Mar 13, 2013

Answers

2
If you are including your roommates rent on your tax returns and it has been reported for the past two years, we can count that as income.
Otherwise, you are qualifying on your own income.
Do you own the place where you have a roommate? In that case, the rent paid to you will be rental income (and you would factor that in preparing your income tax return, along with expenses incurred in maintaining the property)

But if you don't own, and the rent money doesn't go to you but rather to your landlord, then no, that isn't considered income.

When applying for a loan, you will typically provide
two most recent pay stubs or proof of sources of income
two most recent bank statements
two most recent tax returns
As well as other documents that your lender will require.

You should speak with a mortgage banker/broker to be preapproved -- and I suggest you do this before you even start looking for a property to buy. Knowing what you can afford, how much downpayment you will need, and what kind of loan you can get are all critical factors in your search.