Home Buying in Portland>Question Details

Kaylahodz, Renter in Toms River, NJ

In a few years my husband and I are looking to move to the general area. What specific towns should we look at if we want a 4 bdrm with some privacy.?

Asked by Kaylahodz, Toms River, NJ Sun Apr 7, 2013

I grew up in Maine but not in Portland, so I don't know the area SUPER well. Moving from NJ we just really want some SPACE and privacy... at least half an acre if not more for under 500,000. Before we move (in a couple years) I want to do research of which towns would be best for us. We may move and rent first to truly know the areas but it'd be great to be pointed in the right direction.

Answers

9
Sara Elizabeth Trafton’s answer
There are a number of convenient and cool little bedroom communities surrounding Greater Portland, and your lot size preference and price range should afford you access to a "sweet nest" on the outskirts of the city.
There are a few other details to consider that will help refine your search and make it more manageable to weed through the listings... How far are you willing to commute? Is school choice of interest to you? Types of recreational facilities you may want to be close to, etc.
I would be very happy to help make your search a bit easier. Whether you decide to rent first, or purchase, if you give me a few more details I will use my resources to help you get back up here to Maine.

You can reach me at strafton7@gmail.com or give me a call, 207-331-7066. I can help.

Sara T.
P.S. What town did you grow up in?
I would also encourage you to visit often over the next few years before your move. I would also suggest renting when you first arrive. There are many seasonal rentals hat are available very reasonably. This will give you an opportunity to find the community to best suit you. Just out side of Portland there are many towns that will offer privacy and homes on lots much larger than half acre for under $500,000. Good luck in your search, and we welcome you back to Maine
NJ isn't that far away. I encourage you to start visiting Maine every chance you get over the next few years to get a feel for the different towns! What Christa did - driving the peninsulas - is an excellent thing to do. Maine isn't so much about houses as it is about life-style. You can get a house to meet your needs anywhere, but you want to make sure the town or city has what you want and need to live the life you envision. What are your needs beyond the house? Do you need shopping, dining, entertainment within a certain drive-time? Do you need a hospital? A gym? Do you want to be able to walk to your downtown? Some towns don't have a downtown. Is a grocery store 25 minutes away OK with you? Do property taxes make a difference? Do you travel - nearness to the jetport might be a big thing. What are your hobbies? There is no replacement (no, not even the internet) for boots on the ground. Paul gave you some ideas of towns to look at - those would be good starting points. I don't work in the Greater Portland area, but I do often work with Buyers from away. It is so much easier once you decide on location, location, location! Wishing you the best.
Hello-- congrats on thinking of moving back! Maine is a wonderful place to call home-
Assuming you'd be looking at greater Portland And taking into account your lot requirements I'd suggest looking at
Scarborough
Cumberland
Falmouth
Yarmouth
Freeport
Even some parts of Portland and South Portland can offer that type of land and privacy-- many with close access or even direct access to water/ocean views that are within your total budget.
There are also "special little nooks" and hidden treasures throughout the area. I would be more than happy to talk to you about all the choices.
I specialize in relocation services for buyers and would be more than happy to assist you if you desired. I also have rental contacts in these communities if you are thinking of renting. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will get you a comprehensive complimentary "real estate kit" for each town you're interest in. I have found these kits to be the very best way for people to learn about a specific community prior to actually starting their search---
Cheers
Pd

207-671-6604
http://www.sellwithpaul.com

Paul Diou
Broker & Owner
Maine Realty LLC
Congress St
Portland Maine
Web Reference: http://www.sellwithpaul.com
The truth of the matter is that most Maine towns will met the criteria specified. Coastal towns, especially in Southern Maine, tend to be priced substantially higher than in land towns. However, even coastal towns have rural areas where $500,000 will get you privacy and a 4 bedroom home. If you can further define your criteria, you will get more info. Welcome back to Maine.
Going shopping for a mortgage. It may seem backwards to shop for a mortgage before you shop for the house, but there are several reasons for doing this. Shopping for a mortgage will also help if you can get “pre-approved” for the amount you’d like to borrow. This means the lender has looked over your credit and financial statement and agreed to lend you the money. Sellers like pre-approved buyers because there’s less risk the deal won’t go through. First, you’ll find out how much you can borrow, which has a lot to do with how much house you can buy. Get my top 25 Questions for FREE that you should be asking your lender before you choose them to secure a mortgage.

Whether you’re, buying, or building your dream home, you have a lot riding on your decision. Market conditions and mortgage programs change frequently, and I welcome the opportunity to serve your needs with quick and accurate real estate financing advice. I have the expertise and knowledge to help you determine the absolute best loan program to meet your objectives.

Ensuring that you make the right choice for you and your family is my ultimate goal. And I am committed to providing my customers with mortgage services that exceed their expectations.. As always, you may contact me anytime by phone, fax or email for personalized service and expert advice.

I look forward to working with you!

Lowell Sterling
Mortgage Banker
NMLS# 968898
LSterling@englending.com
16800 N. Dallas Pkwy, Suite 290 | Dallas, TX 75248
Office: 972-646-2411 | Cell: 214-418-7022 | Fax: 214-614-4637
Bank of England /dba ENG Lending: NMLS# 418481
I came from long island NY about 13 tears ago. Before settling on the Blue Hill peninsula I drove down each peninsula from Boothbay to Eastport.
Would love to tell you about my experiences . Please contact me
I'm also from Maine and have lived in the Greater Portland area for 20 years. I would love to help you and your husband find a new home here. Feel free to call or email and we can discuss in greater detail areas that meet your needs as there are many towns that will provide you with the criteria you mentioned. My email is LMccoy@LegacySir.com cell 207-712-6860.

I look forward to speaking with you and helping you get back to Maine!
Liam McCoy
shoot if you travel outside of Portland a little bit you can get a great deal for 500k... I just inspected a fantastic home in Bingham with over 100 acres and a guest house... it was rural yes (90 minutes from Augusta) but fantastic views... new construction. 300k
Forget the views from Bingham.... unless you like looking at a Maine's largest wind farm!
Flag Mon Jun 10, 2013