Home Buying in Philadelphia>Question Details

williamslinda, Home Seller in Philadelphia, PA

In Philadelphia can I sell a property if a gas bill is owed on it?

Asked by williamslinda, Philadelphia, PA Sat Dec 21, 2013

It's not a lien but it is a bit much. I inherited the property from my uncle who passed away and it turned out that he had the gas meter hooked up illegally. When I moved in I had no idea it was that way, but I was embarrassed and furious at the situation. I want to sell this house but don't know if this will follow the property or me. Also I never got the house in my name but I am the executive of the estate....please any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. You have no idea how grateful I would be

Answers

6
Please call me at 267-934-1971 you will need to have the will probated and you should be advised by legal counsel when this is done if you have not done so.

Philip J. Cunningham Sr.
Market Force Realty
801 W Street Rd
Feasterville, PA 19152
866-993-8585
267-934-1971
http://www.GreatPaRE.com
PhilCunningham2004@Yahoo.com
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE.com
The gas bill would need to be paid before the property can be transferred. The good news is, the buyer's title company can easily arrange payment of this lienable item at closing, and the amount owed will be deducted from the proceeds of the sale. Any outstanding water, trash, municipal tax or mortgage obligations will be handled in the same way.

I would be happy to meet with you to review your options for the sale of the property and getting you (and any other heirs) the most return on your uncle's investment.

Joshua Stein, ABR®, e-Pro®
REALTOR®
Coldwell Banker Preferred – Conshohocken

Office: (610) 828-9558 * Cell: (215) 866-8030
Direct: (484) 270-1165 * Fax: (215) 999-5894
Email: jstein@cbpref.com
Web: http://www.joshuasteinhomes.com
Blog: http://jsteinhomes.wordpress.com/

PA License #RS317975
Real estate Taxes, Gas, Water and Sewer are leinable in Philadelphia. Any Buyer who buys will most likely obtain title insurance and the title company with require this be resolved and paid at closing from the proceeds. A buyer can pay this but will factor that in to what they are willing to pay for the property. As Executor of the Estate, it is your responsibility to clear all issues.

Additionlly, there is PA Inheritance Tax, which can be up to 15% of the net value of the Estate depending on whom the Heirs are. The title company will also require that this be addressed at the closing either by proof of payment of the Inheritance taxes or by escrowing for payment of same.

Good Luck,

Bob Weiss
Broker/Owner
Coldwell banker Hearthside Realtors
215-37902002- VM 112
r.weiss@cbhearthside.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 22, 2013

I completely understand how you feel and its nothing to be embarrassed about. Gas and water are lienable items and are paid out of the proceeds from the sell of the property. In addition, since you inherited the property, there also might be inherited tax envolved, which also would have to be paid or escrowed with the sell of the property.

Please give me a call so we can discuss options.

Cherise Wynne
Coldwell Banker Preferred
c:215.518.5193
o:215.546.2700
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 21, 2013

Your situation is not unfamiliar to me. I know you are upset but all is not lost. The property can be sold but all situations should be mentioned in the Sellers Disclosure and the title company would be responsible for resolving any outstanding issues at closing. Debts such as this follow the property, not he seller.

Give me a call, we can get together and resolve this...

Ernest J Coates, ABR CFP CDPE
Keller Williams Real Estate
267-970-2898
215-885-0880
Good evening;
Gas in Philadelphia is listenable which means the title company must collect what is owed to the gas company. The money collected will come out of the proceedings from the sold price.
Please call me so we can discuss further.
Don Sherman
Century 21 Advantage Gold
Cellphone-267-716-8228
Email-realtor94@gmail.com