Recurious, Other/Just Looking in 11236

In New York State, can one obtain a RE broker license, create an LLC, work from home office, hire agents, and never have a storefront office?

Asked by Recurious, 11236 Fri Sep 24, 2010

In New York State, can one obtain a RE broker license, create an LLC, work from home office, hire agents, and never have a storefront office? Can you setup a "virtual office" for your agents? Are there any legal issues with setting up a real estate brokerage in this way?

Answers

12
Even though NY DOS permits you as a broker to work from your primary residence, NY Department of Building has issues with such occupancy expressly stated in number of regulations specifically pertaining to real estate professionals.

David Zybin
Broker/ Owner
Nord-East Realty Group, LLC
718-234-9617
info@nordeastrealtygroup.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 10, 2010
What about a agent setting up their LLC, is it possible?
Flag Sat Apr 13, 2013
Every New York real estate broker must maintain a principal place of business within the state (with the rare exception of some nonresident brokers). Real Property Law Article 12A. If the signage is outdoors, it must be posted conspicuously on the outside of the building and be readable from the sidewalk. When signage is posted indoors (office building), the broker's name and the words "Licensed Real Estate Broker" must be posted in the space that lists the names of the building's occupants.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 30, 2010
I think that Mitch provided the best answer.

I remember in real estate school they did not discuss the "virtual office" I though a storefront was a requirement.

David Rogoff and Bonnie Chernin
Fillmore Real Estate Branch #19
Brooklyn NY 11210
917-593-4068 - David mobile
646-318-5031 – Bonnie mobile
e-mail: davidrogoff@Fillmore.com
In the world of real estate you need to connect with your clients. Your clients need to be able to meet in a professional setting and speak one on one with agents and brokers.

Real estate is a highly emotional business where brokers and agents need to hand hold the clients from start to finish, especially in this market. Clients want interaction in person, and a place they can visit you on the spur of the moment for questions, concerns, drop of documents.

I know I would never want to do business with a real estate office that I can only talk to over the phone and never visit the office. You should call the New York Department of State to ask the legal aspects of this question.
Web Reference: http://www.RhondaHolt.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 25, 2010
I think some of us are referring to different things, and there are also different layers to this question.

Having a virtual online office/company/presence is one thing, having a real estate sign hanging outside your home, and using that address in your ads, business cards, promotional materals etc, is something else.

As a commercial business, however, you don't need a storefront office with desks, per se. There is a newer company near me that rents space in an attorney's office and they use that as their "base" of operations - perfectly legal here - it's not a storefront, nor does it accommodate all the agents on their roster. But, it is in a commercial building, not a residence.

I beieve, unless I am wrong, that Recurious is asking whether he can use his home as as an office....not whether he has to have a physical office as a base.

Anna touched on what is required to obtain a Broker's license - that's anorher issue mentioned here - so there are various points that Recurious brought up.

Bottom line, Recurious - now that so many (confusing) opinions have entered the discussion, and considering your question has various aspects to it....... - follow Mitchell's advice - google it or call the state agency for a definitive response to your questions.

Best wishes.............
Dear Recurious:

To get the correct answer you need to contact the New York State Department of State Division of Licensing Services. You can Google it.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
Keep in mind that before one can otain a broker's license, one needs to begin by acting as a licensed salesperson first--check the NYS Department of Licensing for additional information, and do consult with an attorney for all legal related questions.
Yes it can be done. Yes there are always legal issues and criteria for the set up
Actually, I have a "virtual" office and you absolutely CAN do it. If you wish to discuss...give me a call. 631-425-6150 Gail@GailGladstone.com
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
Just as an FYI - NJ has the same restrictions - can't set up "shop" in a residence.
Its a great question. One that I would like to learn about myself. I think that is possible as long as you have the name of the company on your mail box. So I will be watching to see what other trulia users have to say about this.