Home Buying in Denver>Question Details

Galen, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

Im interested in buying some mountain land and building (myself) a cob house on it. Any suggestions?

Asked by Galen, Denver, CO Sun May 12, 2013

Cob is a natural building material made from clay, sand and straw. Its very similar to adobe, but instead of using bricks, cob could be thought of as one megalithic, house-shaped brick. Of particular concern is building codes and permits for such a home, so Im hoping to find a location with friendly regulations and (most importantly) neighbors.

Answers

4
Bob Gordon’s answer
I recommend you take your plans and start visiting county planning departments. Collect the information and once you know where you will be focusing your lot search, find a Realtor to assist with the land. You should keep in mind building from the ground up is cash intensive. Inexpensive lots are difficult to finance, so start now in your search for a bank that will assist in your dream. Utilities, a well and septic will all be cash expenses. Good luck.
For real dude im feeling the same thing! First off im sure you have done tons of research on alternative housing just like me, tiny houses, earth bag, earth ships. Or maybe your rich and have no money problems idk lol. Anyways broke or not i gotta say check out landwatch.com, CHEAP land on there bro, Im really feeling the cob to but like you i will be doing it alone well with my gf but just us. To me it seems like you should build a tiny cabin for 2-3gs then work on the cob home, since you would be able to put the cabin together within a few months. Thats what im thinking of, and as far as well and a septic tank.... luxiers to some one like me the well would come way first though in my book. i would use composting toliets or maybe you could build a river thing under your house that comes and moves your waste like they did in roam, thad be cool! For water id get some were close to a lake and by a burkey water filter + boiling and catch rain water in a storage tank. Really excited to here back from you.
Just as Tim said, Park county has friendlier regulations than Jefferson county. Some areas in Park county that you may want to consider looking are Pine, and Bailey. Will you be building yourself or do you have someone that will be building for you? If you have someone who will be building for you, see if they will go with you to check out the site. It is always helpful if they see the site you have in mind and can give you their input. Good luck!
Oh and yes, I will be building my house myself.
Flag Mon May 13, 2013
Bailey looks very interesting. Any thoughts on regulations in Gilpin, Clear Creak or Boulder?
Flag Mon May 13, 2013
Galen - Park County has the friendliest regulations nearby to Denver. Land is typically 1 acre or more starting at around $5,000. If you want utilities at your lot line, it will cost more.