Home Buying in San Francisco>Question Details

Char, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Im getting unease from the seller... What should I do?

Asked by Char, San Francisco, CA Tue Jul 10, 2012

I am in negotiations on a house and I am getting vibes from the seller that I don't like. First off, she is a widow who stayed in the house while we were viewing it. She claimed she could not drive but since we were early, we parked down the street and saw her arrive in her car before the appointment. She also sat in the house and watched as we toured it. Well, the house has some major issues like an older septic. However, it is a nice house/property/location and we like it. However, she doesn't seem to want to negotiate at all on the price even though there have been no updates on the 30 yr house. She also has her agent threatening there are other interested buyers (even though no offers have been made... its been 2 weeks). They seem really unwilling to negotiate and the seller's disclosure was blank on some really important issues. The woman tries to claim like she doesn't know anything and she's really unable to understand anything, but i just don't buy it.

Answers

3
Gabrielle Dahms’ answer
Your agent ought to be communicating with the other party, not you.

Sounds like you really want this house. If that is the case, make sure to know your limit in terms of $$$, then do all appropriate inspections, and resolve to walk away from this property if need be.

Feel free to call me at 415-200-7202.
If you are still in the counteroffer phase,,you might insist that she complete all disclosures on the regular and supplemental disclosure forms.

Also be sure you have really good inspections done, and check building department permit and inspection records to see if everything was done properly.

It does seem if she might be hiding something, that she might not want you to discover.

George Wolff
415-788-1881
Web Reference: http://www.wolfflaw.com
Decide how much you want it and have your offer contingent upon a home inspection without her present and a septic compliance certificate (what they are called here in MN) or your equivalent there. You do have your own agent- right???