Eleana, Real Estate Pro in 89084

Im a newbie. What are the things I can do to get the best deal for my buyer on new builders homes? And what should I watch or do to protect buyers?

Asked by Eleana, 89084 Sat Feb 19, 2011

Answers

3
Knowing the product and sales history helps greatly. As companies offer promotions, you should be able to draw on this information to support your customer's offer. We find that builders are often more willing to work with buyers and their need for a lower sales price by either providing free upgrades or discounting these upgrades. Also if the have an inventory of lots they can be more receptive to discounting lot upgrades.

The sales staff you encounter when you walk through the door has likely been schooled to pass on the message that the price is the price and they will not discuont. Often the key to creating the desired price movement is to be able to get to a manager who has the authorization to make these decisions. This can be tricky especially if you don't want to upset them too much.

Many of our new home buyers are absentee owners that are having their new home built while they live in another location. We offer the service of advocating for them by monitoring the building of the home. Periodic visits to the construction site to take pictures to be sent to them is appreciated and it keeps the buyer a little closed to the process.

Hope this is helpful.

Make sure you get some references from the Builder. You want to make sure that the Builder has a good standing reputation dealing with buyers, and builds a good home. Another thing you want your buyer to check is the warranty the builder offers (how long is everything under warranty, what does it not cover etc..). Most times when you sell a new home, the Builder still has finishing work to do (sowing grass, landscaping, trim work, paint, flooring, etc..) make sure you include a punch list with your offer (a simple letter stating all the things the buyer wants finished before closing). Also just because the house is new does not mean your buyer should not have a home inspection. Be sure to encourage them to do so. I have included a link to a good article about this subject. I hope this helps.
Make sure you read the builder's contract. If they say they will give you upgrades, get it in writing and also get in writing how much if any of the upgrades your buyers have to pay up-front.
You can negotiate the cost just as you can on a normal sale (and as in a normal sale, sometimes the seller gives a little, sometimes a lot and sometimes nothing).
I would have the property inspected. If the seller says I will fix that later, make sure you get it in writing.