Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Miriam, Home Buyer in Harris County, TX

Im a first-time home buyer, widowed/single mother of two, and registered nurse... Are there any grants/programs I can look into?

Asked by Miriam, Harris County, TX Sat Jul 16, 2011

Answers

28
Patrick King’s answer
Hi Miriam:

You can learn about all first time homebuyer programs by taking a HUD Approved Homebuyer education class. Currently you can receive up to $30K in assistance using a first-time homebuyer program. The amounts of assistance will vary based on your income and location of the home you purchase. Avenue Community Development Center has a great First Time Homebuyer Class. Their class runs 4 Saturdays out of each month, they have 3 English classes and 1 Spanish Class. 90% of the grant programs will require you to take a Homebuyer Education Class to be eligible for the assistance, thus, I recommend you take the class as one of your first steps so you can learn about the assistance and also take care of your education requirement all in one day. To find out more about their class, visit http://avenuecdc.org/home-ownership/pre-purchase-education/. They also offer an online version which I don't recommend if you are trying to learn about local programs. Good luck to you!
Hi Miriam,

You have received many sources of information so far, I would like to add you should definitely check out the matching grant available to first time homebuyers through American Bank sponsored by the Fed Home Loan Bank. It is a 4 to 1 matching grant up to $7500. and if you stay in the home 5 years or more, it does NOT have to be repaid. It works wonderfully, and we do offer it in TX!
Jim, American Bank, 703 615 4675
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 18, 2011
Hi Miriam,

There is a program through the State of Texas that gives down payment assistance to RN's which might suit you better due to your income which gives you 3% towards your down payment assistance. All of these programs have income limits and most mandate that you stay in the property anywhere from 5-10 years. Now, there's also a program that gives up to $20,000 towards your down payment and closing costs provided you stay in the home10 years and is only for select areas vs. being valid throughout the State of Texas. In addition to these programs, you may also participate in the Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) tax credit program which gives you up to a $2,000 tax credit each year as long as you stay in the home. As your Realtor, I would assist you through this process and connect you with an experienced lender who can handle the loan and down payment assistance and MCC programs for you, even if credit repair is needed, we will still be able to work with you and help you to get to the point where you can obtain a loan. Please feel free to call or e-mail me to discuss in greater detail.

Kay Harris
713-598-6655 cell
kay@kayharris.com e-mail
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 16, 2011
Attention: Looking for a highly original loan? At an affordable
interest rate? Processed within 2 of 5 working days. Have you been
turned down constantly by your banks and other financial institutions?
Mr.Roland Jones Loan offer ranging from $ 5000.00 min. to $
50,000,000.00 Max. Minimum interest rate of 3% Contact him through
(jr.trustfund@yahoo.com) and get the following details.

Your full name :_____________
Age / Sex :___________________
occupation :________________
Monthly Income :____________
country :___________________
State:______________
phone Number:______________
Loan Amount:____________
Loan Duration:_______________

In recognition of the above details we will send the loan terms and
conditions to proceed with the transfer of the loan.

Thanks for reading.

Roland Trust Fund.
Hi, I recommend speaking with a few different Loan Officers regarding grants and programs available to you. Its always better to ask to many questions rather than too little.
Call your mortgage person for advice on this question they usually deal with all kinds of programs and grants when putting mortgages together.

Gladys Viruet
Keller Williams Realty Sales Associate
Mobile: 914 589 2455
Fax: 914 713 3271
Office: 914 902 3277
Email: Gviruet7@aol.com
WEBSITE : http://westchesterpropertyspecialist.com
about.me/westchesterpropertyspecialist.com
PROFESSIONALISM AT ITS BEST!

2nd largest Realty in the country!
Yes, there are programs out there, but you have to qualify and know your Credit Score. When you interview with lenders make sure you have a copy of you 3 FICO Credit Score's and request information on the Fair Credit Reporting Act of 1971, this law could boost your Credit Score. You could also increase your Credit score by someone signing you up as a authorized user or check out money back credit repair fast . com . The Hud . gov web site has information on Non-profit organizations that can give you information on grants/downpayment asst programs.
Web Reference: http://avoidcreditscams.com
Our broker is a member of the City of Houston Home Buyer Program. Simply complete our contact form online at http://ownrealtygroup.com/contact-us and an Own Realty Group consultant will contact you to discuss your goals.
Hi Miriam - Talk to a lender about a program for you. As a nurse, there is a loan program that used to be call Hometown Heroes which included 0-down loans for people in the medical profession. Of course there were restrictions based on income, debt etc. So talk to a lender to find a loan program for nurses.
Miriam,

You should talk to a loan officer, new programs come out all the time. Recently I heard there was a program called live where you work. This program was being offered to teachers, policemen, fireman and nurses.

Good Luck.
Speak to a Loan Mortgage Officer today, there are Bank Products and government Programs to help you in your journey to "HOME OWNERSHIP"!!

Best of Luck!

Mildred Valentin
RE/MAX VOYAGE
There are plenty of loans and grants you can get as a first time home buyer. You'll also receive a tax break! Look into government loans to help you out. I'm sure you can apply for an FHA
Credit is the 1st area of concern, its like the gas to a car. When you interview with Realtors and Loan officers make sure you have your 3 Credit scores from TransUnion,Experian and Equifax, because some programs for home buying have a minimum credit score. You should also get advice on how to protect and challenge your credit report, the Fair Credit Reporting Act of 1971 is knowledge you should know!! Once you have completed using the ACT of 1971 to challenge the credit, you need Continuous Credit monitoring and ID Theft protection (Learn about the FIVE common types of Identity Theft)!
Down here in miami, florida is very hard to get into a bond program,a fastest way is to put a low down payment(fha) and ask to seller to pay buyer's closing cost, otherwise is a long process. Wish u find a good realtor Miriam
BOND PROGRAMS ASSISTANCE FOR 1ST TIME HOME BUYERS!!! YES, it can be for YOU.
FHA will required you to put 3.5% down and the BOND loan can assist you for your DOWN PAYMENT.
We can close you in 2 weeks, easy and smooth process. 713 894-2227
Good Monday Morning, Miriam.
Hope your weekend was terrific. Are you ready to call me and let's get started.
Let's have a great week also and begin putting an end to leasing so you can start taking advantage of the tax breaks owning a home offers.

Very truly yours, Kathleen
Loans are NOT specified based on your particulars all lenders base it on following:

1. Credit scores
2. Employment history
3. Downpayment 3.5% or more
4. JUST few concerns

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Hello Miriam,

There are so many different programs which may assist you with the homebuying process as several of the others have answered. It is heavily dependent upon where you desire to live and also, VERY IMPORTANTLY, qualification for a home mortgage where your credit weighs heavily. I can help get you in touch with a lender who offers the downpayment assistance program which would fit your needs and also provide credit enhancement if needed at no cost. Further information can be obtained through the web reference.
Brad Stevens
713-775-6569
Miriam,

Just closed a new doctor out of school and they used Compass Bank. They have programs designed for those in medical field. Zero down and special rates. Job history and other issues did not apply. Contact me and I can get you with this lender and discuss your plans on purchasing.

Mark McNitt
Bernstein Realty
m# 832-567-4357
Hello, Miriam and Congratulations on the decision to purchase a home!!

Yes, there are programs to help when purchasing a home. If you will take the first step of trust and call me I would like to give you some guidance and help you purchase your FIRST home. There are many processes and you will want help with information that you can use and I'll help you learn along the way so you won't feel left out or left alone. There are many processes and people to work with and I'll guide you each step.

Also, with the selection of homes available, the incentive of low interest rates, and with mortgage programs for medical personell you are in a positive position for a home purchase.

You should call me, Kathleen, 281- 799-4002 and let's get started or KathleenRealtor1@gmail.com

I look forward to meeting you and helping you soon. Hope your weekend is terrific, Kathleen
Hi Miriam,
You may qualify for Texas Affordable Housing programs. Check out the site below.
Have a blessed day!
Ronda
miriam,

here are a couple good blogs,,
http://blog.house-guy.com/2011/02/make-sure-you-can-afford-y…
or
http://blog.house-guy.com/2011/01/buying-house-costs-more-th…

best of luck. ps pay attention to the case-shiller housing index
http://www.economy.com/csi
Hi Miriam--

I am a Texas Affordable Housing Specialist, ,and specialize in these types of programs. There are several programs available including assistance for down payment, monthly mortgage help, and even a program that offers 100% financing with no PMI! If you would like more information shoot me an email, and I will match you with the program that would best fit your needs. Talk to you soon...

Vanessa Castillo, Realtor, TAHS
There are also new home builders who give discounts/rebates for medical professionals, teachers, firefighters and police officers, in addition to Texas's first time homebuyer program. They will also contribute to your closing costs and , when represented by a REALTOR, you can get even more incentives. They even have prgorams to help you with credit issues, if necessary. You can put $500 down to hold the home while they help you fix your credit so that you qualify. I am an Accredited Buyer's Representative and can assist you in getting a brand new home for the least money down. As a VIP Realtor with a lot of homebuilders, I can get you a great price with a lot of extras. Please feel free to contact me if I may be of assistance. My cell number is 713-530-4098.
Hi Miriam, Most programs were terminated when President George Bush sighed H.R. 3221, The Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008--the act banned seller-funded down payment assistance programs such as AmeriDream, the Nehemiah program and others like it. There are a few programs you may be able use. USDA loans offer 100% down payment. The property has to be in an eligible area. This is a rural development loan but many properties are in areas that most people would not consider rural. There are also income guidelines. MCC is a tax credit which allows for up to $2000 tax credit each year you own the home. There are income and home price guidelines. This can help you with financing because the lender can give you credit for this income. HUD's Good Neighbor Next Door initiative is designed to encourage renewal of revitalization areas by providing an opportunity for law enforcement officers, firefighters, emergency medical technicians and teachers to purchase homes in these communities. HUD provides a substantial incentive in the form of a 50% discount off the list price of eligible properties. Additionally there is the Texas First Time Home Buyer Program (Bond 77) Here is the link for info on that http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/homeownership/fthb/down-payment… For most of these programs you have to go to a lender that offers them. If you would like the contact info for a few lenders that offer these or if I can help you with your home search please let me know. heatherjoseph71@yahoo.com
http://www.naca.com
Look into their program then contact me. I am a registered agent.
Try this website out. It should answer most of your questions.

http://www.txhomeprograms.org/

I would be happy to assist you in looking for a home when you are ready, just give me a call or send me an email.
Good morning Miriam,

There are several programs, at different banks, that we can offer you. Being a nurse, first time home buyer, head of household all these facts will benefit you. Give me a call or email me for further information. This is a great time to be a homebuyer...home prices are low, and interest rates are at all-time lows!

Yours truly,

Mario Romero
Mortgage Banker &
Real Estate Broker

832 818 5868
marior@r3yes.com