Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

estrebella, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

Im a Renter and the house its going up in auction this month city of los angeles, ca

Asked by estrebella, Los Angeles, CA Wed Oct 10, 2012

I do not have acontract and I live on the garage. I have no where too go this fast what can I do?

Answers

5
Yeprem P. Davoodian, M.A.’s answer
Do you have a lease in place? If so and it's not expired, I would recommend you consult with an attorney or do some research (online). As a tenant you have many rights. But make sure you're actively planning for different scenarios.

GOOD LUCK!

Yeprem P. Davoodian, M.A.
If you have been living there with permission,(even if you have not had to pay rent) then you are a Tenant and you have rights.(you can look them up on line) I suggest you stay put until you get a notice to vacate or until you find somewhere to live. If you get a notice to vacate, it will give you a time period for leaving. Now, this is assuming whoever buys the property follows the law. If they don't, well then you are taking the risk of getting thrown out on the street.
You should prepare to relocate quickly. Do you have any idea if the landlord was running the rental officially or under the table. If it wasn't official you could well be the equivalent of a roommate. He/she likely left you in a very weak position and as I hear from others the stress of wondering if you are going to be removed on short notice is very stressful.

Take care of yourself and find a legitimate rental or roommate.
If you have been paying money rent and have proof, you are in fact a tenant. Even though, a single family is exempt under City of LA rent control ordinance, you are entitled to a proper eviction.

Double check this with http://www.lafla.org/contact.php

You can not just be tossed in the street, you can google landlord tenant law CA to get a list of your rights. In most cases after the auction you will be notified and oftewn offered a cash for keys to move out in a specified time, usually 30 days and get paid to move. If they dont offer it, ask for it,.