Home Buying in Phoenix>Question Details

Trulia Phoen…, Home Buyer in Phoenix, AZ

If you were to buy your home all over again, what would you change?

Asked by Trulia Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ Fri Apr 12, 2013

Answers

9
Kawain Payne, Realtor, Notary’s answer
I would take my time a look a little more.

My agent only showed me four homes, before she asked which one we were ready to put in an offer on. She took us out only twice and showed us two homes each outing.

After I became an agent, I learned that her broker trained his sales people to only show a buyer four listings then get them to write an offer on one or more of them.

I love my home, but feel we made our decision too quick.

This is why as an agent I spend a bit more time with my buyers.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
I wouldn't change much from the first house I purchase. I loved it . I moved out of the area and sold it...I should have kept it and rented it out becuase it was in a very good location and in very good shape.

My second house was a spec house and bought to be finished and flipped..which I did, made a bit of money

Third house...now that was a house I really enjoyed. I should have purchased it with a different loan and different terms.

My fourth house is coming up this summer or fall, we will see....
I was about 23 when I bought my first house. Fresh out of college and had just crossed over the threshold into my career. And guess what I did? I offered them the asking price! Who does that? A young one. First rule, never offer to pay the asking price. I was more thrilled at the idea of owning, rather than about how much I was going to owe.
I would change the year I bought it :( buying at the peak of the market was not the nicest time for us.
I would have changed my neighbors. Then, again, they may have felt the same way about me . . .
I would buy my home in a different location.
Good question and actually one I've already started to consider. I currently live around the Arcadia/Biltmore area of Phoenix and absolutely love it! It is hard to find a better community with access to so many great shops, restaurants & beautiful homes. But like many others, I was forced to short sale my last house in 2009 and have been forced to rent ever since. I am now back in a situation where I can buy but the prices in Arcadia have gone up significantly from last year so I may have to look outside the zip code. So my question becomes, where can I buy where I can still find a great home within my price range and not go too far from the neighborhood? Back in 2004, I decided to purchase a new home down in Queen Creek because of affordability. But I realized quickly that the area was not what I preferred. So this time it is extremely important for me to find a home based on the location I want to live first and everything else second. Because of this, I have started to keep my eyes on the uptown Phoenix area around 16th St & Bethany Home. This is another great neighborhood and not too far away from some of my favorite spots around Arcadia/Biltmore. And the prices are still at a point where I can afford to get in. So my point is, if I had to do it all over again, I would have stayed closer to the neighborhood I love rather than move far away just to get a better deal.
I would transport it to the beach in Hawaii!
How much I could afford, duhhh. LOL

All kidding aside, I would start by hiring a professional I have researched and met to establish a directed working relationship with. Buyer's have a right to be picky and deserve only the quality of professional they seek out. If you found your agent simply because they had a pulse and a key to the front door, then you get what you asked for.

Make sure you are asking your agent "what are you going to do for me if I make the commitment to hire you"? Most will not have a well thought out answer, because the average buyer does not know what to ask or what they deserve. Kind of like, you would not know to order a filet mignon if you only had hamburger.

Location, Environment, Lifestyle, Commute, Size, Features... these are all things that the buyer can figure out based on what they want. All of these items change periodically and can explain why you no longer want a house. But to protect yourself legally and elevate your experience at no additional money, hire an extraordinary Realtor.

http://www.trulia.com/profile/GeorginaDalton/#__rec see what others are saying about me.