Home Buying in Lakewood>Question Details

Lindsay Beck…, Home Buyer in Dallas, TX

If you're looking to buy a home in Lakewood, do you need an agent specializing in the area, or will any agent do?

Asked by Lindsay Becker, Dallas, TX Tue May 28, 2013

I have a great agent, he just doesn't seem to know about the area as well as North Dallas or have any hip-pocket listings (which seem to be the only way to find a place in the area)

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3119833163-7027-Delrose-Dr-Da…

Answers

12
Lindsay,
You've hit upon an understanding that most only suspect.
-
Garmin has made it easy to show real estate in areas where the brave fear to venture.
However, being able to find the real estate is not where the skill lies.
-
There are two, some say more, benefits regarding working with a local expert.
Local knowledge: One, Garmin enabled agent, was unaware the commmunity pool had been REMOVED! That could become importat when the kids or grandkid are banished from the house for three hours. There are other significant issues that a local specialist will prove their value.
-
Second: Hip-pocket listings. You've detected the fragance of the coffee. You've awakened to the reality that homes are sold in ONE day, or sold BEFORE they appear in the MLS. How does that happen so consistantly?
-
Did you know a real estate professional markets the home to four levels of buyers before the MLS?
These are the agents preferred, "A-List" buyers, office buyers, franchise buyers, area buyer, regional buyers..then the MLS. By the time most buyes see a home, it been rejected by five preceding groups.
You really want to be in one of those groups.
-
Ask the local agent if they participate in the "First Look" option.
The "FIRST LOOK' network of agents are interested in serious buyers who are able and wiling to pay FAIR MARKET value. If you polute the progarm with a low-ball, you will find yourself relgated to the outer darkness chasing vapors of homes 'just' sold. If you reject the third home that meets your critiera, you will not see the fourth. First Look is for serious buyers only. Lookers and kickers and low-ballers are not compatible with this option.
-
Are you serius? Pick up the phone and CALL a local REALTOR.
Not serious? Use that contact link.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
Move to the Front of the Line
(http://FirstLookHomes.us)
It is always a good idea for your best interests to be represented by an agent who is an expert in the area you are planning to move.

Buy/sell through me and I'll move you for FREE*!!!

*some restrictions apply, contact me for details*
your best bet is with a local agent that knows the area.... someone that is doing business in that area...
Trulia can show you who is in business and who the imposters are....
I certainly agree that an agent that is more familiar with the area is favorable. I lived in the area for ten+ years before I became an agent and know how outside agents would feel handcuffed because of the details.

Should you need, I'd love to discuss the area with you:

Gary Stone
Clay Stapp+Co
214.462.0797
gary@claystapp.com
Lakewood is very different from other areas, it can't be explored with a GPS and somebody who doesn't know that each street and each block is different. Also we have excellent public schools and you'll want someone who has that information and familiarity with each school, its programs and attendance zones.
All agents have access to the same information and we have a shortage of listings in most areas. Hopefully more properties will be added to the market.
Knowledge of the area definitely helps. It's important to understand the local market so you can make informed decisions based on the facts. Pocket listings are really just listings that have not hit the market yet. Let's face it... if you were selling your home would you want to keep it as a pocket listing with limited eyes on it or would you want it out there in the MLS where everybody can see it? The answer is evident.

When I take on a new listing I will send out an email that goes out to a large percentage of the agents in the area and the state. If it's not in the MLS yet it's essentially a pocket listing. So your agent is receiving those emails about any new pocket listings or pre-MLS status listings coming on the market in the near future... or at least they should be.

Hope this helps.

_____________________________________________________
Don Groff | REALTOR® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 | listings@dongroff.com
websites: http://www.AustinListed.com | http://www.360LendingGroup.com
Web Reference: http://www.AustinListed.com
I would definitely agree that having an agent that is knowledgable in the Lakewood area would be very beneficial. True, all agents have access to the same MLS but with it being a sellers market there are many listings that are not even making it to the MLS, or at least not for long, because agents will show properties to other agents in their office before the home goes on the MLS. In addition, the Lakewood area is a very unique part of Dallas that agents in other areas may not know the ins and outs of.

If you need a good recommendation I can definitely find someone for you. I am a Mortgage Advisor but I work with a lot of agents in the Lakewood area very often so I am sure I can send you to someone wonderful. I can also help you get preapproved to buy one of these beautiful homes in Lakewood, or give you a 2nd opinion if you have already spoken with a lender.

Drew Brenner
Mortgage Advisor
PHH Home Loans
drew.brenner@mortgagefamily.com
Lindsay, I am a life long native of the east Dallas area. If it doesn't work out with your agent, I would be happy to help you.

Liz Renfro
William Davis Realty
214-924-9676
Hi Lindsay,

We are have the same data on the MLS that can search for listings in the area. We are in a seller's market and homes are selling in the matter of hours once it hits the market. It is important that your agent not only familiar with the area and to be on top of the new listings. He/she need to text you the min the listing hits the market so you can see it the first day!

Let me know if you are looking for a local realtor in Lakewood. I have been a Lakewood resident for over 8 years.

You can also visit my website at http://www.findyourtexashome.com/lakewood

Dixon
http://www.findyourtexashome.com
I'd be happy to help you find a home in Lakewood area..I've worked all over the Dallas area and have over 12 years experience..Contact me: 214-527-7144
It helps to have an agent that not only knows Lakewood since it is a specialized neighborhood but also has a lot of contacts to find those hip pocket listing. We learn about many new listing during office meetings or networking with other Realtors which can give you an edge to learn about new properties before they hit the market. Having an experienced agent that you trust has a lot of advantages as well.