Home Buying in Corning>Question Details

Coprtop, Home Buyer in Corning, CA

If you put in an offer on a property is the Realtor required to present it to the seller or can they choose not to?

Asked by Coprtop, Corning, CA Tue Sep 7, 2010

They are obligated to submit every offer that is presented to them.
All offers must be presented in a timely manner to the seller. If the realtor has presented your offer. Then, talk to the realtor's broker. The seller might tell their realtor initially that they only want offers that are over a certain amount. But, it is the realtor's responsibility to present them anyway.

Best of luck to you!
Web Reference: http://www.DesariJabbar.com
Coprtop -

In the Bay Area, CA - it is ideal if we can present to the seller. However, many times that is not possible and the listing agent presents the offer. As a buyer's agent, I present the very best, clean, complete offer and then verbally sell my client's to the listing agent.

From the post below it appears to be area to area. I always request to present to the seller, but since the listing agent is my contact, I have follow their instruction. Demanding wouldn't work. That is one reason why it is called "cooperating broker".

Verbal offers are not enforceable in all areas, so the offer should be in writing and accompanied with the deposit check. All offers in writing and accompanied with a deposit check must be presented to the seller.
Any written offer should be "presented" to the seller. If you are being stonewalled by a listing agent, then have your agent call the agent's broker/manager. If you are being stonewalled by your own buyer's agent, then you've got a good reason to make a change. If necessary, you can also consider getting your offer directly to the seller's attorney or to the seller himself. Hopefully you are working with an agent, who can guide you through this.

Now how an offer is "presented" can vary - it may be in person (always best), via fax or scan, hand-delivered to the agent...but if you have a bona fide offer, complete with preapproval for financing, it should be communicated to the seller - low ball or not. What I will say is this - how you start the process can greatly affect the tone and the likelihood of success.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
it all depends on what the seller and that Realtor have deceided to do... case in point, if you are the seller and you tell your agent don't show me any offers under 'X' dollars, that realtor is not obligated to present your offer... as a good agent they should advise the buyers agents what the seller will not look at so everyone is on the same page... now you as the buyer may not agree with the selling price, you could write the offer and put in 'this offer is valid until rejected in writting' then let the listing agent know that should the seller revise what they are willing to look at you'd like your offer presented...
Here in Texas, Brokers are required to present every offer to the Seller. Sellers may also decide whether or not they want to see back-up offers.
Here in Louisiana all offers must be presented to the seller.
The agent or broker is obligated to present every single offer to the seller, at least that is the law in NY.